Please wait while setup prepares the necessary files

Discussion in 'Software' started by stackley, Feb 4, 2009.

1. stackley

stackley Private E-2

I installed Office 2007 on my new build computer. It had been working fine and then about two months ago, any time I try to open one of the office programs I get the message "Please wait while setup prepares the necessary files". It then switches to another window, dont recall what that says, and it takes maybe a minute or so before the program opens. It is not the end of world, but an inconvienence. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I ran it throught the MS website and did not find anything helpfull.

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Quick ? when you installed Office did you install it give you the option to install the recommended software or did you pick custom install.
    Also have you tried the detect and repair option in the help menu to make sure it's not missing a file

3. frapper

frapper Private First Class

Like buggabear, I think Office is trying to install a feature that for some reason wasn't installed originally. Now something you're trying to do is prompting it to try and install that feature or module. I think you need to pay attention to exactly what the windows tell you. I believe Office is looking for its installation CD.

4. stackley

stackley Private E-2

I just did the standard installation. As I said it had been working for about 5 months without this issue. I will have to look into the detect and repair option...where do I find it?

5. stackley

stackley Private E-2

I have not checked, is there a repair function on the installation CD?

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try Start>All Programs>Microsoft Office>Office Tools>Microsoft Diagnostic Tool

7. stackley

stackley Private E-2

I ran the diagnostics and it comes back all in good orderl

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm not sure how different this is from the diagnostic tool. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924611

Is it one particular Office program that you are starting when you see the problem? Word? Excel? Or all of them?

9. stackley

stackley Private E-2

Well tried that and it still does the same thing, and yes it happens when I try to open any of the office suite of programs, the first time. That is, if I open Word I get the same thing, but once it has run all the other programs open straight up.

10. stackley

stackley Private E-2

Well I had run the repair program from the add/remove previously and it did not work. So far....fingers crossed....it seems to have done the trick.

Thanks

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds