Bridging two networks with PS3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by obmon, Feb 23, 2010.

1. obmon

obmon Private E-2

Hello, and thanks in advance.

In my home I have a linksys wireless router acting as DHCP server and ADSL modem. Basic Home network type setup.

Recently I bought a PS3 for the purpose of media streaming from my laptop. I use PS3 Media Server.

Initially, I connected the PS3 to the home network wirelessly provided by the linksys, however the streaming was ridiculously choppy.

I then bought a D-Link ADSL router with 4 lan ports and set that up in my room. The D-Link has its wireless settings turned off, and my laptop as well as the PS3 are connected to it directly through cable. The streaming is beautiful and without hiccups.

However.. this means i now have TWO networks in my home. One i use for media streaming, the other for the internet. I switch my laptop back and forth between the two networks depending on what I want, internet or media. And the PS3 is offline.

What i want to do is have the D-link "relay" the internet connection. In this way, the Laptop and the PS3 would remain connected through cable, but that the ADSL is also routed through the D-Link providing both my PS3 and my laptop with an internet connection. And then i wouldn't have to switch my laptop back and forth.

Is this possible, and how would I acheive this?

And please don't tell me to run wires all the way through the house to connect the PS3 and Laptop to the LinkSys router. That would be counterproductive and someone might trip.

Thanks again for your response.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds