Random Net Turnoffs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tech1, May 4, 2003.

1. Tech1

Tech1 Private E-2

Another issue with my pc again. (Epox 8rda+ using onboard land, WinXP pro, Cable modem and using the latest epox drivers)

Every other day or so, when i wake up, it happened once while i wa son it, the net seems to turn off, but all my other computers are connected to the net fine. Aim turns off and i can't access the internet at all.

When i /release it says it is already released, but when i /renew nothing happens. So i am guessing my machine is having some sort of problem renewing the ip from my hub?

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

you tried specifiying your own IP address? I think there is a dhcp bug in XP because i have the same kind of problem. Whats it connected to? Router? hub? hub then router?

3. Tech1

Tech1 Private E-2

Goes from Modem > Router > Hub > PC

My whole houe is networked, so only way i can do it.

4. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

make sure that the NIC is not set so that windows can turn it off for power save.
    try a static IP address.
    Try different port on the hub.
    update drivers for NIC.
    replce onboard NIC with PCI card.

5. Tech1

Tech1 Private E-2

> make sure that the NIC is not set so that windows can turn it off for power save.
    How do i do that?

> try a static IP address.
    See above!

> Try different port on the hub.
    Will try it next time it happens.

> update drivers for NIC.
    I have done that :(

> replce onboard NIC with PCI card.
    Reason why i bought this mobo is so i could have onboard lan :(

6. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

goto the device manager and choose properties for your network adapter, then go to power management. Uncheck the top box, it should look like the photo below.

I'm still unclear as to whether or not you've specified a static IP address. If you releasing and renewing the IP address then that's DHCP. Go into the network properties and set up your IPaddress and DNS servers manually.

Attached Files:

7. Tech1

Tech1 Private E-2

It was turned on by default, looks like that was the problem i hope. That would tell me why i couldn't release and renew since it was turned of.

Thanks for the help :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds