HP G60 laptop power plug type

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sail323, Feb 18, 2010.

1. sail323

sail323 Private E-2

I own a HP G60 series laptop which is about 6 months old. The connector which plugs into the DC power jack on the side of the unit developed an intermittent connection. By this I mean that if you twist the wire at the proper angle you can get it to work.

HP was quick in sending me a replacement power supply at no cost since the unit is still under warranty. However, I would like to repair the old power supply and keep it as a backup by stripping back the cable and soldering on a new jack.

Does anyone know what type of jack that HP uses and where I can get one?

John

2. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

after a quick browse, i failed to find what you are looking for, but i did find a good guide for you.

Burrell

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. sail323

sail323 Private E-2

I have a HP G60-445DX. I believe all of G60s use the same power supply.

Thanks for the link burrell.

Last night I cut off the plastic cover from the plug, stripped back the insulation on the wire and re-soldered it to the plug. I wraped the whole thing in electrical tape. It don't look pretty, but it works. I still would like to do it the proper way if I can find a plug.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Sail,

I've fixed a bunch of those the same way you did. I have a good supply of assorted heat shrink tubing. They come out pretty nice using that. You may be able to get some the right size at Radio Shack. I have also sometimes filled the cavity with epoxy or hot glue before putting the heat shrink on.

Good Luck,

Jim

6. sail323

sail323 Private E-2

I did use heat-shrink tubing on the individual leads, but I didn't have a large enough piece of heat-shrink tubing to cover the whole thing. I'll pick some up when I get a chance.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds