Attempting to buy a car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wookie, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

Anyone have any trouble with explorers?

Turning in my taurus and gonna buy a 2003 Ford Explorer with 13,000 Miles 4x4 V6 4 door

What do you think?

Green :) My fav color

2. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

go for it. its a good up grade from a torus.

eric

3. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

You can never go wrong with a Ford, :D . BTW: green ones have 6 extra horsepower!;) Explorer is a good rig. Go for it.

4. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

6 extra horse lol?

I always thought red cars were faster :)

I liked it

At first I drove a 2 door 2002 with leather and a sunroof and a nice stereo, I didnt like how cramped it was and the brakes shook alot when i braked, so I drove the green 4 door XLT and it drove nice, only has 13,000 miles and the person had it 1 year, im hoping some old lady had it who took care of it. I wanted a V-6 cause a V-8 is just a waste for me and I don;t feel the need to boost my ego, if I wanted to do that id get a sports car. Its 4x4 which will be great come winter, the taurus is FWD but can be tough during turns, Ive driven a 4x4 in the snow and if you lose traction a little gas traightens you out.

Anyway im rambling, I really hope I get it.

5. Njal

Njal Private E-2

If your not going to be doing any real amount of towing then the v6 is probably fine. I had both v6 and v8 explorers, and after living with both I wouldn't go back to the v6. Explorers did have a problem a couple years back with some poorly designed front hubs, but I think that has been fixed by the 2003 models. Other than that, they have been around a while and are pretty tried and true.

6. SiLenZe

SiLenZe Private First Class

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Red cars are only faster when the badge on the back reads FERRARI :D

good luck in getting the car you want wookie ;)

8. dasmaz81

dasmaz81 Private E-2

Type-r Stickers = more HP

9. oldandconfusedagain

oldandconfusedagain Private E-2 <i>emeritus</i>

just had to drop in my 2 pennies worth. have you ridden in or driven an explorer? most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever been in. Daughter has one. take a ride in a dodge or chevy and notice the difference. if you're going to be spending as lot of time behind the wheel, it'll matter to you. take care

10. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

I work on Fords for a living. Explorers have been taking a bad rap of late, rollovers for one, due mostly to poor tire maintanence like checking air pressure, or trying to drive it like it is a car. Too many people dump their cars, jump on the SUV bandwagon and don't "learn" how to drive the thing. Explorers are very good and comfortable, more than comparable to Dodge or Chevy. The hubs were resolved in '95. If there is a weak point it is the transmission. Here's a test to do while road testing any automatic. When slowing to a stop, manually downshift the transmission. You should feel the engine slowing the vehicle with each downshift, keeping in mind that the transmission may not downshift right away until the vehicle is going slow enough. With the Explorer the concern will lie with manual 1st gear. If you don't feel the slow down here, you likely will need a valve body repair. (Majorgeeks is now an automotive help line!)

11. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

\

yeah I test drove it, was pretty smooth compared to my Ex's 2003 Durango.

Pretty damn smooth actually.

But I didnt end up getting it they wanted 2 grand down and my thought was u can (Insert Word Here) Off

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds