random RAM question..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gamefreak863, Jun 21, 2007.

1. gamefreak863

gamefreak863 Private First Class

I was told you can't mix different RAM...like...a 512 with a 128...

but then I read somewhere on the internet you could..

would I be able to take my 512 RAM in here...and throw in a 128?...as long as its the same type of RAM?...like pc3200?

(note...this is just for the next month or 2 until I get the rest of my money to throw in 2gigs..)

2. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Usually it depends on the motherboard, and what it will support. On older boards you might have a problem. On boards of the last 3 or 4 years it should work ok. I've dealt mainly with ASUS and BIOSTAR boards, and have used various MB of ram on both at one time or the other. Not a 512 with a 128, but on the BIOSTAR I mixed a single-sided 256 PC2100 with a double-sided 128 PC2100 with no problems - on the ASUS I used a 512 PC3200 with a 256 PC2100 - also with no problems (but both ran at the 2100 speed, of course).

I'd just give it a shot and see if it works! Maybe run some benchmarks before and after to see what kind of impact it has.

:)

3. gamefreak863

ok, will do. thanx alot.

and any benchmarkers you suggest?

4. Natakel

Natakel Guest

A lot of the gamers I know swear by the 3D Mark family of programs when checking upgrade impacts on their PC's. I've never actually used one of them, though. There are some free versions and a sharware one, I think, here (among other programs) in the benchmarking list:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads4.html

But again, I've not used any of them. I have used a version of Passmark's Performance test I bought long ago - but I've not used the version listed here.

5. gamefreak863

thanks again, once I get it downloaded, installed and run tests and all that...I'll letcha know how it turns out.

6. Natakel

Natakel Guest

How did it turn out?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds