Disabling Onboard Sound?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vast41, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Vast41

Vast41 Private First Class

I have a MCI PM8M-V Mother Board, i am placing a new Sound Blaster PCI in my machine, but i am trying to disable (or check to see if it's already dIsabled), the onboard sound, i went into the CMOS and the manual no option/explanation in either. My question is how do i disable or check to see if it's disabled the onboard sound?

2. Natakel

Natakel Guest

From what I've been able to determine, the BIOS of this board auto-detects peripheral devices and expansion cards . . . so installing an audio card should cause the the onboard sound to be disabled by default. Have you tried plugging your speakers into the on-board sound jack to see if it still works? I would think that if your seperate sound card is installed, the onboard sound won't work . . .

Your sound-card installation instructions will probably have some insight on weither or not you should remove the onboard sound chip drivers.

You can go into BIOS (usually by pressing the DEL key while rebooting) and check to see if there is a particular setting for this, or to make sure the option shows as disabled.
    I'd start in "Integrated Peripherals" and go from there. Word of caution - if you are unfamilier with BIOS commands and functions, don't go mucking about with the settings and options you find - you can cause your PC not to boot at all!

3. Vast41

Vast41 Private First Class

I looked all through the CMOS no setting so i am betting you are exactly right. I never tried the onboard jack. I will just install the new sound card look for comments in the instructions. Thanks a lot Natakel!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds