multi problem thread... ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by lasombrasdreams27, Oct 15, 2008.

1. lasombrasdreams27

lasombrasdreams27 Private E-2

I am not really sure where to stick this thread, but I think it might have to do with software. Every thread on every forum I have looked at hasn't worked so here I am posting my own. To start, some information on my computer. I have an Acer Aspire 5000 series, 5003 WLMI model number ZL5, with Windows XP home version 2002 SP2, with an AMD Turion(tm) 64 mobile processer, 1.8 GHz, 448 MB RAM laptop. I have had it for a little over 2 years and haven't encountered many problems with it (there was some sound issues that I fixed with different programs and burning problems which I wasn't too worried about).

Recently, I was playing a game and I got a big blue screen saying that Windows had shut down to prevent any damage, that it was doing a Memory dump. Shut itself off on me before I could examine anymore of what it said. When trying to restart it, thinking it was just a simple error, it would load the Acer startup screen, then a black screen and blinking curser, sits there for a couple minutes, then loads a black screen. That screen sits for about ten minutes, then proceeds to tell me that Windows could not boot because <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is either missing or corrupted, to reinstall the file with a windows disk.

Normally something like this would be no problem, you just slip in the disk and hit 'R' to repair windows and you will be all set. I put in a Linux Live disk, changed my boot order, and restarted the computer. My disk drive spins, tries to read the disk, then proceeds to start, or try to, from the OS.

I put a nice shiney Windows XP home disk in to do as I was instructed, and I get the same thing as the Linux cd.

I finally was able to get to my advanced setup options (when the only 'F' button that would work was F2 to get to my main setup)

Try to boot normally, get the Windows load screen, then the error message, after ten minutes of winows loading.
    Try to boot from last known good config and it does the same thing.
    Boot in safe mode (with cmd prompt or networking or alone) it gives me a giant list of drivers, then stops, unless I hold down CTRL-ALT-DEL, then it will boot (is how I am writing this as we speak)

Last night I was sent the 'ntoskrnl' file to replace in the system32 folder, and then restarted, and nothing changed. I have no restore points on here, system restore was turned off by my "genious" ex who thought he knew diddly about technology. :( I read in a forum to look in the DLLCACHE folder in the system32, and copy the file from there (backup?) where it should be and just replace it, since chances are they both weren't corrupted. I have no such folder in my system 32 (haven't yet checked my 'search' to see if it can be found anywhere else in the windows folder.

Since I am in safemode, and can actually use my computer, I waned to see why my drive wasn't working. I put the live disk in, opened my computer. It tried to read the disk, then acted as if there was none in the drive. Same with the Windows disk, a blank cd, an audio cd and a data disk. But it did recognize a DVD (store bought movie)

I am running two AV (avast and avg) run antiadware (ad-aware se) once a week, have spyblaster running and updated, and run ccleaner and cleanup once a month.

So, any suggestions that do not involve repairing Windows (since it won't boot off disk, won't even SEE the disk) would be great! I know this was long, and anyone who read the whole thing, thank you. :cry

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

A good place to start is here: Debug Memory Dumps (Figure out what is causing a BSOD) This is what Microsoft has to say on the problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314477
    (Of course, that doesn't help if your DVD/CD drive won't run.)

Also, take a look in your Device manager to see if there are any driver problems.
    Go to Start>Control Panel> System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

Are your DVD/CD drives showing in My Computer?\

Post back and let us know what you find out.

You should only be running ONE AV. Both of those are good ones, so choose which you prefer.

3. lasombrasdreams27

OK, I will try it out in the morning when I have more time to mess around with it. Yeah, I checked all my drivers, all of them are updated and running properly, which confuses me. We will see in the AM and I will reply to let you know how it went, thanks! :)

4. lasombrasdreams27

yes I just became aware of this at the repair shop, was explained why, and as soon as I get things up and running again, I will choose which one I will keep, thank you though. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds