Onboard video interfering with new PCI video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DCGS, Jul 17, 2009.

1. DCGS

DCGS Private E-2

I recently had to buy a new video card for this old PC of mine, because the AGP video card was showing the tell tale signs of death.

So I got a GeForce 9400GT PCI card and installed it.

The issue I am having now is, after installing the new nvidia drivers, somehow the integrated video card on the motherboard got turned back on. This wouldn't normally be an issue, however I am unable to disable it for some reason.

When I run EVEREST, under Display, it says my Windows Video is the 9400GT, and that the PCI/AGP Video is an SiS 330 Mirage IGP. Furthermore, under GPU, it also claims the SiS Mirage IGP.

My issue is I am trying to completely disable the Mirage IGP, and use the 9400GT for all video, including PCI and GPU.

The Bios on the Nvidia card are the newest avaliable from Nvidia. The motherboards Bios shows me no area to disable the onboard video.

Any help would be appreciated. I believe the onboard vide was disabled with the older card, because it was in the AGP 8X slot, and the new one is in a PCI slot. Naturally I only have the new card in, and the old card has been uninstalled and removed completely.

2. DCGS

DCGS Private E-2

For more information, here some of my systems specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron D 340, 2933 MHz (CPU Alias Prescott-256)

Motherboard: MSI MS-7060

I've got a gigabyte of Kingston ram in this, and thats about it. It's not too impressive but it does what I need it to do.

I'm going to try updating the bios on the moitherboard (Phoenix Award Bios) to a new version, maybe that will help.

3. fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue Private E-2

Go in the BIOS & set it to use the AGP first
    Exit & save the change
    When the unit restart go to safe mode
    Open the device manager & disable the onboard video
    Restart the unit normally.

4. DCGS

DCGS Private E-2

How would I use the AGP slot if there is no AGP card?

I have disabled the onboard video adapter in device manager. However, the change doesn't seem to be taking, as it still shows up in the BIOS.

5. fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue Private E-2

My mistake, I saw AGP mentioned & it kind of stuck in my mind.
    You are correct, you can't set it to use AGP first if there is none. :-o

I should have edited my other post & asked what you're talking about ! LOL.

6. DCGS

DCGS Private E-2

Thanks for trying, at least. :D

Hopefully get some help with this, soon.

I am not sure whether my PC is actually using my video card or the onboard for processing. Given the moniter is plugged into the PCI card, I believe it IS using the video card, but I am unsure.

EDIT:
    I am fairly certain it IS using the onboard video for a GPU, I loaded World of Warcraft and was getting about 10 frames per second, with everything on the lowest possible settings.

I really could use some help with this. The card I had before wasn't the best, either, but that at least gave me 30 frames per second, before it started showing the signs of dying. It hasn't died yet, but I upgraded to the newer card to hopefully get a better framerate with games (and videos), at this rate my investment has seemed pointless.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  7. DCGS

DCGS Private E-2

Ok, because I couldn't disable the onboard video, I reinstalled the old AGP card, hoping that would disable the onboard video, then I could just disable the AGP slot card.

Instead of saying the GPU is the SiS onboard video, it now says its the GeForce 6200. So I have essentially replaced the problem with a similar problem.

I'm at a complete and utter loss as to what to do with this.

The PCI slot is perfectly fine and working. The card is installed, the drivers are as well. My system is just refusing to use the 9400GT as the GPU.

How can I force the PC to recognize the 9400GT as the GPU card?

8. fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue Private E-2

Don't let the AGP slip up fool you.;)
    I've been working on computers for years.
    Not all motherboards allow for disabling the onboard video.
    If you disable it in the Device Manager it will prevent the drivers for the onboard from loading effectivly disabling the onboard,

9. DCGS

DCGS Private E-2

Yeah, thats an interesting situation unto itself. I disabled it, first thing after uninstalling the AGP card and installing the PCI card.

I went into Device Manager, and it said two disaply devices, so I disabled the SiS one, but upon rebooting, it reinstalled itself and ran again.

This situation is getting on my nerves.

I have another PC thats mostly dead, but I think I might be able to frankenstein these two PC's together into a really good working one. Thats what I am considering right now.

10. fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue Private E-2

You go to the Device Manager
    Right click on the onboard
    Click Disable
    Proceed to disable the onboard
    Click Apply & then exit , correct ?

If you disable the onboard it should not reinstall when you restart the unit.
    It sounds to me like you are clicking Uninstall instead of Disable, in which case it would reinstall.

Make sure you Disable NOT uninstall .

11. DCGS

DCGS Private E-2

Yeah, I have only clicked Disable. Although I did try Uninstall, as well. Neither of the two options worked.

I tried taking the working parts from this PC and another one that was mostly dead, and worked them in together to see if they would work, but that didn't. The problem with that one is that it didn't have any video, at all. That motherboard doesn't have onboard video, so I don't know whats wrong with that one (I had both video cards in there, too, which makes that weirder).

I'm at a loss of what to do, now.

Maybe the card just doesn't work. It's telling my PC is a 1024MB card, but the box says 512MB, so thats also weird.

12. DCGS

DCGS Private E-2

I'm now fairly certain the card I recieved was not the one on the box. It does say 9400GT, but it's also telling its a 1024MB card, and that its a PCI Express card.

The card I ordered from Newegg.com was supposed to be a standard PCI card, at 512MB.

I'm not sure what I am supposed to do about this.

13. DCGS

DCGS Private E-2

A friend of mine recommended uninstalling all the Nvidia drivers, and removing both cards, then trying to install the 9400GT. I did this, and freashly installed the Nvidia drivers (current), as well as the 9400GT.

This hasn't solved my issue. The Onboard graphics still turned themselves on.

So my current situation is that I have the 9400GT installed, and my monitor plugged into it. The Nvidia drivers are the most current version and installed properly. The onboard SiS IGP is still handling all GPU processes, and the 9400GT is doing nothing but letting me use it as a output for my monitor.

Oh, and it still says its a 1024MB card, even though the physical back of the card also say its a 512MB card, and the Nvidia settings also say its a PCI Express card, but its only a PCI card.

I'm about to give up on this and RMA it to Newegg as a damaged product, because I honestly have no other idea what to do at this point, and I can't find any help.

14. techsent

techsent Corporal

15. DCGS

DCGS Private E-2

16. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Why did you buy a PCI card when you have an AGP slot? AGP is the better choice when it's available; AGP was specifically designed for video cards, to give better video performance than PCI. Also, the fact that you can't get the PCI card to work properly with no AGP card installed is, I think, a sign that your system should really have an AGP card in it.

Regarding your motherboard's BIOS not showing a setting to disable onboard video, the motherboard may be designed to automatically disable onboard video when a card is installed. And, perhaps an AGP card is needed for this to work right, not a PCI card.

Regarding the PCI card, have you tried installing it in different PCI slots? Some motherboards can be picky about which slot works best for a PCI video card. In some cases, the top PCI slot, i.e. usually the slot nearest the processor, is the slot that will work best for a PCI video card. One system in which I encountered this was a Sony VAIO. I initially installed the card in the 2nd or 3rd slot down and it wasn't working right. I moved the card to the top slot and it worked right.

17. DCGS

DCGS Private E-2

I bought the PCI card because the GeForce series stops at 7000 on AGP, and the PCI card was 9000 series. I understand the differences between PCI and AGP, but I felt I would get a better deal with the PCI card.

I've tried the card in three different slots (which are all this board has), to no avail.

I'm about ready to just RMA this for a refund. The fact that its PCI never concerned me, but I will probably buy a AGP card this time around.

18. DCGS

DCGS Private E-2

I have begun the RMA process with Newegg.com. This card is nothing but a disappointment, and thats without even getting it to properly work. EVGA's tech support is nothing but a freakin' joke. Everything they told me to try I had either already tried, or come up with on my own.

Then I asked them if I return the card to them or Newegg.com and it took them TWO days to reply and say Newegg.com, while they were replying to me on a daily basis about the actual tech questions. Such a freakin' joke.

19. fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue Private E-2

I read the reason you gave for buying a PCI card instead of a AGP.

If this is for gaming might I suggest a Radeon X1650 Pro ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102073

It uses a floppy drive connector for added power so it isn't a power hog.

It will play most of the newer games that requires Pixel Shader 3

As far as I'm concerned it is probably the best choice [cist/performance] for a AGP card.

20. DCGS

DCGS Private E-2

Yeah, I have been looking at AGP cards. I am unsure as to whether the RMA'd card I recieve after sending this one back will work on my system or not, considering this one didn't.

I will take your recommendation under advisement.

I had already looked at some cards, from day two of this one giving me troubles. I had looked at this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103080

Both of these are pretty good cards. Although I will probably consider the Diamond over the Sapphire, since the Diamond is a bit better, statistic wise, and doesn't require another power source (which is a biggie for some since my PSU, while being 450 watts, doesn't have alot of extra cords in it).

Thanks for the advice. I will update this topic if the new card gives me issues.

21. fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue Private E-2

The Diamond is a better card & a little newer technology.
    If you take a closer look at the Diamond ut requires a 4 pin molex connector loke a CD drive or hard drive takes.
    Diamond recommends a 300 Watt or better power supply.

As for the power supply, the rated out put of 450 Watts isn't as important as where thise wayys are !
    Ei you look at rge label on the power supply there should be a chart showing how the power is devided up on the connectors.
    Look at the +12v .
    Take the number of Amps [expressed by a A on the number & multiply it by 12 & you will know how much of the 450 Watts are on the 12 volt rail where it is needed to run drives/video card/etc that use that type connectors.
    For instance, If you see +12V @ 16A the you have 16 X 12 = 192 Watts on the 12 volt rail.

Having 192 RATED watts doesn't mean that is what the power supply is actually putting out.

Most PSU's are rated by "peak" power that means if it is tested & the combined power from ALL of the outputs hits 450 Watts for a few seconds then it is a "450 Watt" PSU.
    Most PSU manufacrurers don't provide continues output ,which is the importany number !
    What is the max power it will put out & hold steady over long periods of time is the TRUE rating of a PSU.
    Unfortunatly, the lower end manufacturers onderstand that the misleading "peak" rating makes there product sound much better then it is.

If you post what brand your PSU is I can give you an idea as to how good it actually is.

22. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Just for future, whenever you install a new Graphics Card, you should always uninstall the Drivers for the old card be installing the new card. Some of the old drivers may be hidden. To fix this, do a right click on My Computer, select Properties, go to Advanced System Settings (Vista is a link on the left XP is a tab), click Environment Variables, and enter a New System Variable, the Name being DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES and the Value being 1

Hit ok, ok, ok and now go back into Device Manager and go to View and click Show Hidden Devices. You will now see a heap more greyed out entries. Uninstall all of the greyed out Graphics drivers first then lastly uninstall the Highlighted one, it will ask you to Restart, do not restart, Turn Off. After shutting down, make your HW changes and reebot. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds