change MTU's in a D-link DSL-2540B Router??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noobtech, May 15, 2009.

1. noobtech

noobtech Private E-2

any one know how to do this? been through the whole router, cant find a way to change them.
    have a client network that can't access microsoft sites, figure the MTU should be lowered.
    can some one help?

Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Admittedly I have only skimmed the manual for that router, but going on your indepth look through the menus looks like MTU cannot be set in your router so try seeing if you can set this via Windows and your Network Adapter and this free app can help http://majorgeeks.com/TCP_Optimizer_d2104.html

Is it all Microsoft sites that cannot be accessed or can some like http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/default.aspx plus are all other sites ok, especially ones from antivirus companies?

Check your HOSTS file for any anomalies like 127.0.0.1 microsoft.com (to open HOSTS its generally found in system32\drivers\etc\hosts IF using Vista you will need to open Notpad as Admin *right click run as admin* then browse to that location and open HOSTS)

3. noobtech

noobtech Private E-2

Thanks Halo,
    I will pass this info on to the client and keep you updated.
    From what he told me, none of the machines could open microsoft.com or msn.com and traceroutes to these sites always timed out.
    I will try your advice and see if it helps.

Thanks again.

4. noobtech

noobtech Private E-2

Hey Halo,
    the client changed the MTU on his machine and it worked fine, just wanted to know if there is an easier way to get everyone working instead of changing the MTU on every machine, maybe just replace the router with one that he can manually change the MTU's on?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes that would be the optimal route to changing MTU in one go if there are multiple users on the network, just depends on how many there is to do.

As the MTU change via the software is fairly easy, is it possible that the main admin of those machines could do a small guide and have all users run and change MTU setting to his working setting to their PCs? or is it one of those not advisable options to have the users change this themselves?

Just would weigh up the cost of new router and setup vs someone or a few manually changing this on all PCs (how many BTW).... while its now working with the D-Link router, I would weigh up that adding new hardware to a now working setup "may" add new issues in setup and running, it shouldnt do as routers these days from the major players are easier to setup and are pretty stable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds