Document File Names

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jannie, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Jannie

Jannie Private E-2

I've been gleaning wisdom from this forum for quite some time now, but have never found the problems I'm having as of late.

I bought a new computer from Circuit City and I've changed the name of the computer, but it won't change my document file names. For instance, I get /user/ccity...blah, blah as opposed to /user/Jannie. Even when I go to the games installed, i.e., Hearts....I get "East", "West", "North" and "Ccity".

I've tried creating a new user and all that, but when I do, I lose everything and can't seem to figure out how to transfer documents from one user to the other. Thank goodness for restore points!

I paid good money for this computer (and had to get Vista...no choice I was told) and I at least want to have my name, not the point of purchase's on it. rolleyes

I'd certainly appreciate any help.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Please see this Microsoft KB titled, How to change a computer name, join a domain, and add a computer description in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003, and post back if you have any difficulties.

3. Jannie

Jannie Private E-2

Thank you so much for your reply. I've already changed the computer name and description. I've also created a new user account and it creates documents with the proper name. I was told by someone at Microsoft to delete the original account and did. It lost everything I had on here, iTunes, favorites, etc., so I did a restore. Do you have any more suggestions for me? :confused

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I'd try the instructions in this Microsoft KB, titled How to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard with a wizard disk in Windows XP, keeping in mind that in your case, the "old computer" talked about here would really be your old user profile.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds