Computer keeps turning itself off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by turkuno, Mar 30, 2008.

1. turkuno

turkuno Private E-2

I know this topic has probably has come up in the past. However I have been searching for a solution to my problem, and I cant figure it out. My computer, randomly, keeps turning itself off. I have turned off the "restart after error" option in the control panel. With this turned off I still wont get the blue screen once the computer turns off. I do have a couple of things that it could be: psu, overheating or some kind of virus. I have scanned the computer for a virus, nothing came back. Also the fan seems to be working fine.

I do have this error message from the event log:
    Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c000001d, parameter2 f865be19, parameter3 b5ebafac, parameter4 00000000.

And this error message from the previous shut down:
    Error code 1000000a, parameter1 88261ee0, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804f4d86.

I wish I knew what this means, hopefully someone in this forum could lend a helping hand.

Thanks

Running XP with 1 gb of mem

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

This error is memory issue remove one stick of meomry and check if it happen again.....
    if you have more then one stick of memory.....

if that fail try this

Boot into the BIOS most of the time HIT F2 or DEL key and let it sit. If it reboots while in BIOS then it is most likely your mother board.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I found an update at Microsoft that may help your problem:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...08-CEF9-4A1D-9276-92D5E0963856&displaylang=en
    If the PC was shutting down because of heat, you probably wouldn't have any error messages, but I suppose it's possible. Try Clark's suggestions, try the update I linked to, and maybe run an extended diagnostic on your memory. Here's an easy to use memory diagnostic program. You can create a bootable CD or floppy disk. When you boot to it, select "T" for the extended tests and run at least 3 or 4 passes. It will take some time, and it may appear to lock up (esp. on test 7), so be patient and let it do it's thing.
    Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Windows_Memory_Diagnostic_d3955.html
    Find out the manufacturer of your hard drive; go to their web site and download and run their diagnostic tool to make sure your hard drive is 100% healthy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds