Where to get (video card) screws?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rocktot, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Rocktot

Rocktot Private First Class

I just noticed, that NONE of my computers has the screws to hold down any of the expansion cards solid in their respective slots. What size are they, and what are they called? I need to reinstall some 'empty' slots also. Cleaning them out this weekend. But the jiggley cards makes me...nervous.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Best bet is to go to your local computer shop. They have tons of them from previous builds.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

And if they don't just give them to you for free - leave and never come back. They should have tons of slot covers laying around too.

It should! Besides the fact the card can work loose due to fan and drive motor vibrations, and vibrations through the floor from heavy footfalls and the like, that jiggling could eventually cause the tension of the contacts in the card slots to weaken the necessary mechanical connection required for a good electrical connection.

4. Rocktot

Yes, I called around local, did not get any answers, not alot of close locals, but found 25 on ebay for $4.00 shipped so I went with that.
    Hey, Im working on my A+, (network etc) so I shouldnt have to go in in the first place...:-D

5. Digerati

You should not have lost the screws in the first place! Card, or slot cover, both use those screws. And you should not run without a card or cover as that may disrupt the front-to-back air flow.

6. Rocktot

Yes, I know. It may have caused premature HD failure I'm about to have.:(

But I got my computers used, they have no slot screws...And I don't take apart much, and I look for them, none around..then go to hardware store, they are too big (6/32 are available in a pinch) then are they coarse or fine...etc..then forget about it because I did something on it....

You know...Yea, we should have had hundreds around, unloaded alot of older computer stuff a couple years ago. Nothing found.

7. Digerati

Yeah, that happens. Obviously, the previous owner snagged reusable parts before letting them go.

I suspect you will find them shortly after the ones you just bought arrive. ;)

8. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Rocktot,

You are correct. 99.9% of the comps out there use 6/32s. Any hardware store should have them. Buy the shortest they have and any head is OK. 1/4" length would be good but any length will work there.

Good Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds