XP accidentally installed on H: drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by rtminc, Sep 8, 2005.

1. rtminc

rtminc Private E-2

A friend dropped off a an HP MC that had had some problems. At some point, he decided to take matters into his own hands and reinstall his XP PRO. As I am looking at it, Windows is now loaded on his H: drive. I can't format the drive for a correct reinstall because thats where everything is!

How do I get this thing cleared off so I can reload XP correctly. (There is no sw or data on the machine, only the OS)

2. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Just boot the machine with a Win98SE boot disk. Use FDISK to delete & recreate whatever partitions you desire, then format them. Then use the WinXP CD & load it on the proper partition. You can get the boot disk at www.bootdisk.com if you don't have one.

The above instructions are more 'old school'. Alternately, you should be able to boot with the WinXP CD & reinstall it to the partition of your choice...then you can format the H drive afterwards. It's whatever you're comfortable doing.

3. rtminc

rtminc Private E-2

Got it...thanks.

I am just reinstalling with the XP disk and telling it to use the c drive. Appreciate the quick response

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Never use a Win98 bootdisk to change a ntfs partion, due to it will not work. Most restore disks that come with OEM systems create a hidden partition for the software, and a partition for WinXP.

If changing partitions, boot up with the WinXP CD and select the Repair option so you can use the proper tools. Also a BART CD and Knoppix LiveCD comes in handy.

5. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

brownizs,
    Please explain about the Win98 boot disk not working with the NTFS partitions. I have used the method and software that Wavetar mentioned many times with no problems? More details about the Bart CD and Knoppix would be appreciated, as I have just downloaded a Knoppix and have no idea of what to do with it, or how to use it. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds