Format Partition

Discussion in 'Software' started by POLLUX, Nov 11, 2006.

1. POLLUX

POLLUX Private E-2

When I installed XP PRO on a new hard drive, partition C and D were made. Everything was placed on C. Now I want to use partition D, but before I can partition D must be formatted. Can XP PRO format partition D without affecting installations that are in C partition?

Also, if I reinstalled XP PRO, can the new install be placed in D partition without affecting C installs, and can the XP PRO installed on C be removed after install of XP PRO in D partition?

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

You're on the right track.

IMO, a pc should have at least 2 partitions on the same or 2 harddisks: one for OS; another for data. start > Right-click My Doc > props > move > select new drive, ok. Do this for all accounts.

It's best to use C for OS & D, etc. for data. If you keep switching between them, you'll confuse yourself & may lose data. Why C you ask? Cuz the majority of documentation refers to C as OS drive.

3. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Can XP PRO format partition D without affecting installations that are in C partition?

Yes. Right click on the D drive icon in explorer and choose format.
    I would suggest NTFS format and the full format not the quick option.

You can install pro on D but you must unistall from C first unless you have a second Windows product key. You cant use the same key for two installs. Also you cant run two versions of pro at the same time, your just asking for trouble. Usually dual booting is for two different OS.

What akhilles said is true though. You should leave the OS on C and use D for storage.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds