partition format stuck at 36%

Discussion in 'Software' started by calx2, Aug 21, 2008.

1. calx2

calx2 Private E-2

new guy here - XP died and am reinstalling via CD. Partitioning C for clean start and been stuck at 36% for 2 hours...can I restart and partition with less than 100% of drive? or, do I wait? thx

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    If it's been 2 hours, it is probably stuck due to a bad hard drive, but there is a chance it is something else. Even though rebooting in mid-format is never a good idea, you can try booting to a 3rd party utility to test the integrity of the drive. If it is tested and comes back 100% healthy, then use a 3rd party tool to format the drive, or to at least totally wipe it clean. Then try the XP install again. You can try just waiting it out, I've seen Windows 2000 installs take almost 7 hours to format an 80gb drive (why? I have no idea but it definitely isn't normal) and once it completed the rest of the install went fine, and the PC is still running perfectly to this day. So, wait if you want. If you become conviced that something is up and it is stuck (try listening very closely to the drive and report what you hear), you can try my suggestions. Diagnostic tools can be downloaded from the hard drive manufacturer's web site, as can formatting tools; you can also look in the Major Geeks drive utilities section.... good luck!

(I assume no responsibility if you end up damaging the drive by forcing a reboot in mid-format!)

3. calx2

calx2 Private E-2

Many thanks DLB. I could not wait last week for reply as I was leaving for a week so I shutdown laptop (there did not seem to be any noise coming from drive as if actually stopped) and then I downloaded 3rd party utility and did partitioning from that....worked fine and laptop up and running like a champ now. So, I guess nobody really knows why it takes so long or why it stops sometimes?
    Appreciate the help! alls well that ends well! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds