How to format 8GB SD Card?? Delete partition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Nov 26, 2011.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

this should be the easiest thing, but nowhere have I found answer.
    8GB kingston SD card, has old Fat partition taking up half, orphaned the other half. using windows 7 disc management does nothing. can't nuke the partion and use the whole thing.
    how do I do this?
    downloaded some panasonic utility that someone claimed would do it, but no - only sees the existing partition and only deals with it. can't nuke it.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

ok, got that done using easeus.
    but now, my brain foggy.... when using a SD card IN a usb read/write device, what am I prepping for boot: a "USB Drive", or a "SD Boot Drive" ?
    this is what is making the googling hard. the articles etc I see about making the SD Bootable assume that the device we're using it on is android handset/tablet or similar. that's not the case here: I need to boot a Thinkpad x120e... it actually does have SD slot like most thinkpads but it will not boot from there.
    it will boot from a usb stick if formatted right.

??? any guidance? at any rate, I have now one big 8gb partition on the SD card sitting in its USB device. I tried the Microsoft Windows 7 USB iso Utility but it barfs. It can't write anything to sd apparently. it sees the volume, the volume is clean, no other apps are latching it, but it just stops and says "cannot copy to the device". so that's that.
    maybe the HP makeboot util will work, but I think it defaults a FAT 32 4gb partition, and then the question would be how to get the iso loaded on there so it will run at boot???:(:(

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

thank you all.
    what worked was, after running the HP boot/prep utility, and failing to have it boot the thinkpad x120e, I tried again to get the windows 7 boot/usb/config utility to load the iso onto the sd card in a bootable fashion. this time totally diff results. the formatting etc for the 8gb SD took about an hour, after which it reported good result. restarted, hit the key to choose boot device [lenovo bios feature], pushed the usb "reader", and 'voila'' ! it started the install. Installed win 7 home premium, after it was up, did "change product key", put in the COA key, 'Activated' ! yaay.

now doing endless bites of updates...

so this was a useful exercise. in the end, if I am reading the tea leaves correctly, the SD-in-usb-reader/writer was formattable as a usb-boot-from-device and successfully installed win7.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds