Taskbar Message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bobstar, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Bobstar

Bobstar Private E-2

I am getting a message in my taskbar that shows two computers and says, Aquiring Network Address. It happens at random, and I used to be able to make it go away by repairing my connection. Now it just keeps going. I have no trouble getting online, but the icon and activity has me going. Is there a setting I have overlooked? I have gone into Internet Options, connection, and unticked the detect network settings box. I have also tried to put my network address into my adapter settings. I have tried my mac address, my router address, and my isp's address.(it is static) I have unplugged the router,and plugged it back in, nothing changes. any suggestions?

Asus A8V Deluxe, AMD 64 3200+, 1g Samsung pc 3200 ddr, Ati 9800 pro, Antec Smartpower 350w psu, WD 30g HDD, XP Pro SP2, Lynksys BEFW11S4 router.

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

What kind of connection do you have? Seeing you use a Linksys Wireless router leads me to believe you have a wireless home network setup. When this happens do you lose connection? Do you have any other PC or is this a standalone PC? What programs do you have running while this happens? If it is really random what security/firewall type software do you have installed? Have you scanned your system for Trojans, spyware, etc?

Just a few things to get things rolling...

3. Bobstar

Bobstar Private E-2

I have a line of sight wireless broadband connection with an antenna on my roof. It runs to a "radio" as my isp calls it, and from there to my router(Lynksys). I have the wireless section disabled, and am just using it for supplying internet to two computers, one running xp home, and mine with xp pro, which is done with wire. This problem is only happening with mine, not my wife's computer. Problem seems too harsh of a word, as I am online right now typing this, and there is no slowdown or noticeable difference in performance. I do have a motion detector which shuts off the router when no one is in the room, but if this were the problem, it would show up on both computers, not just mine. I have just upgraded my computer, with a new motherboard and processor, and a clean install of xp, and the problem has followed from the old one. Bad Cable? Maybe one of the services I shut off is doing this. I am not allowed to shut off services on her machine. I run Ad-Aware regularly, so it is not spyware, and Internet explorer is the only program running right now. Bobstar

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds