email password

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

While I am still working on the printing snafu (ref my previous post), my email program is acting up.
    I am thinking computers were designed solely to aggravate people.
    When I cue my email (Thunderbird) I suddenly started getting error messages my password was not being accepted. I have not changed this pw or done anything to my email system any time lately. I am not even sure what it is anymore, or how to find it.
    This is :***, i cannot get through a one month period without
    something regarding my computer going awry.
    Any suggestions about my email situation?
    Thanks,
    Sarge

2. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

You could try Mail Passview to see if it finds the password.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

4. Earthling

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

6. Earthling

Yep, you are quite right usafv, for some reason, although the link is complete as posted, when I click on it in any browser the final parenthesis bracket gets dropped :confused

Haven't come across that before.

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Earthling, the problem is that the links in your posts do not include the closing bracket. Hover you mouse over them and then hover over my link. When you hover and the link's text color changes, you can see that the closing bracket in your posts is not included in the links.

8. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I came home a bit earlier and keyed up my email.
    All went accordingly, and I connected to my email account.
    Went back to T'bird just now to look for a message I am expecting, and once again the error message about my pw not being accepted. So I manually entered the pw where indicated....that too failed
    Sarge:banghead:banghead

9. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

For the lack of anything better to do, since I cannot load one of my email accounts, I looked up my PW. I took that, and went to log on. It cane up with the same error message of PW not accepted, I reentered the PW as shown in the Tools/Options. It still down not recognize my PW.
    I am n a quandary. I can understand entering the wrong info results in being shut out. However, when the "correct" PW (one listed) is entered and an error message says in effect "Sorry Charlie," I am puzzled which in my dictionary is just before placing the computer on my yard and using for target practice. At least as a target it is useful.
    Anyone with any ideas why the program does not recognize the PW, while listing it?:banghead:guns:confused
    Skysarge

10. Earthling

Th link i had trouble posting contained, in the first paragraph -

Sometimes when a server comes back up after a connection failure, Thunderbird will never log in to the server no matter what you enter. If this occurs, delete the perfectly good saved password using "Tools -> Options -> Passwords -> View Saved Passwords -> Show Passwords". The next time Thunderbird prompts you for the password, enter it, and check the checkbox to save the password using the password manager.

This appears to fit with your symptoms. Have you tried it?

11. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Thanks,
    I found that suggestion somewhere and tried it. Went to PW, deleted, closed T'Bird, opened again. On request put in new PW. That new one was not recognized either.
    Skysarge

12. Earthling

That isn't how I read it. I think it's saying clear your old password and then re-enter and save it. Might be wrong though.

13. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

This is a little lengthy
    After many fruitless suggestions on how to solve the PW problem, I called my ISP AT&T. I had forgotten I have a service contract with them.
    Got their tech on tech support chat line. He then used remote and it was decided (1) I had a lot of junk in my computer that was taxing it,
    He then put his typing fingers into overdrive and began chucking
    Something then knocked him off, and he could not regain access to my compute.
    Cell phone time. That proved to be a problem and an irritant as I have defective hearing.
    For an additional 1.5 hours I chased in and out of sundry tech web sites, to no avail. So, he bumped me to the next level of tech support.
    (2) They could not maintain remote control before allotted time had expired for solving my problem. I thought he also said I had a lot of memory.
    I closed down computer, and signed back on the next day.
    This time the tech said he had a system message to also bump me, now to an even higher level. He did, and that tech gave me a temp PW to use and get into an ATT site. There I set up a new PW which the system accepted.
    So, about one hour of my time on the computer and about 3 hours on the phone and I now have my primary and secondary email accounts working.
    Can't wait to see what my cell phone bill looks like.
    Still do not know what caused the problem pr how they solved it; but they did.:celebrate
    Skysarge

14. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

For some reason I knew I should not have posted a status of success, AT&T solved the email password problem.
    It is deja vu all over again, and it is doing it again. There is no set frequency to the occurrences, this time I can put in the "new PW" and it seems content for a while.
    I have been working with this since April, and my ISP AT&T has tried at least four times to solve the problem.
    Mozilla Thunderbird has no direct customer service, just a forum style assistance which was really of no use.
    I am beginning to think this is a problem no one with Mozilla or AT&T can or cares to solve
    Glad I am not paranoid, would think computers are out to get me.

Sarge

15. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

While once again trying to get Mozilla T'bird to recognize my password, plus chasing any and everything I could research on the problem,. I found a statement from AT&T that they were aware of the problem, and were "working on it." I found that a few weeks ago.
    Yesterday T'bird once again started rejecting my sign-on's, password rejection again. Guess AT&T has not found solution or this problem is quite complex. They also will not assist troubleshooting as they do not support Mozilla
    Windows Outlook looked promising. So I signed up, got an account and decided to stay with my old ID for the primary account.
    Outlook asked if I wanted an additional email address . I set that up as a secondary one. But, the secondary account is now the primary account, and Outlook cannot locate the original primary account.
    Gawd!!

Does anyone know of a good carrier pigeon store? This is past annoying, leaped over frustrating, and is now absolute idiocy.

Sarge

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  16. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

Delete the Cookie for that email account. Log on to the account re-enter the proper password (the account will provide a new cookie) and hopefully you should connect and all will be well.

17. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

My mother was using AT&T as her ISP until about a year ago. I had one or more telephone conversations with AT&T tech support re: mom's email. She also had a problem getting her email client - which, as I recall, was Outlook Express at that time - to connect due to a password issue. When I talked to AT&T, their rep told me the password used for the email account had to be the same as the password in my mother's modem. This is simply not true; it's complete non-sense. So, that ended any confidence for me in AT&T tech support. And, I would avoid them if at all possible.

Do you know how to access your AT&T email account via web browser? Do you understand that changing the password in Thunderbird or whatever email client you are using does not change the password on AT&T's email server? So, if you want or need to change your email password, sign on to your AT&T email account via web browser and change the password there and then change the password in your email client, using the same password, of course. Using copy and paste is a good way to avoid making password mistakes; type your new password in a Notepad window and then paste into your email account accessed via web browser into your email client.

Frankly, I think you should get an email account that's separate from your ISP; you might have a lot less grief with your email. Some options are Google's gmail, GMX, and FastMail. FastMail is probably the best of these; it costs $4.95/year; gmail and GMX are free. Although most gmail users probably access their email via web browser and many of them probably don't know that a gmail account can be set up in an email client. Well, it can be, either as a POP account or an IMAP account.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds