Mcafee Viruscan: Free Dat files Vs Subscription

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rockinghorse, May 16, 2005.

1. Rockinghorse

Rockinghorse Private E-2

I've been seeing lately on several freeware sites mention of free virus definition updates to Mcafee (and other) Antivirus programs. From what I could tell, you simply copy the DAT files to your Mcafee DAT directory, and you're good to go.

Now, I've been paying 29 bucks annually to Mcafee to deliver these updates to me via the internet. Is this necessary? Could I obtain the same data legally from a freeware site, and suffer only by having to locate the right directory to put them in?

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Those manual updates only work with a paid subscription, you still have to pay for it.

3. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Extract it into the MCAFEE folder by typing "SDATxxxx.EXE /E" at the command line (this will extract its contents).

This should work from CMD.

4. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

If you are wanting to get out of having to pay for antivirus service...then just use highly reputable FREE antivirus like...

http://majorgeeks.com/download886.html

I've used this on my laptop for a couple of years and it works great!!!! It is 100% free and it comes with FREE regular virus definitions updates, e-mail scanning, etc. and has an easy user interface!!!!

Roger

5. Rockinghorse

Rockinghorse Private E-2

Thank's, that's what I kind of suspected.

R*Horse

6. Rockinghorse

Rockinghorse Private E-2

Thanks, I'll have a look. But Mcafee has saved my azz too many times for me to risk changing to an unknown (to me, at least) entity.

R*Horse

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds