Games exit for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldfish, Dec 28, 2003.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ok...this is a weird problem.

Specs:
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    Abit AN-7 mobo (nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset) /w AMD Athlon XP 2000+ at stock /w Aero 5 Cooler
    512MB DDR333 ram running at 266, dual channeled (256MB either way)
    GeForce4 Ti 4200 /w latest forceware drivers
    This is a problem that only seems to happen with game as opposed to benchmarks (i can run 3D mark fine) and not to do with any overclocking. Ive tried this with NfS porche challenge and Max Payne. Ive re-installed both to no avail. I go thru the menu screens fine, and then when i hit play it starts to load, NfS gets into the game but then after a few seconds the app just exits itself for no apparent reason, no errors or anything. Ive tried disabling antivirus and any processes i dont need, no joy.

Ive got the chipset drivers from the Abit CD, they SEEM to be the latest, and the latest Forceware drivers for my video card. Im a bit afraid of upgrading my chipset drivers because i dont know where to go and ive had bad experiences with them before (i.e. not coming back again, ever).

Anyone got any ideas at all? Thanx :)

2. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

I have a very similar problem with one of the games I've installed. Have you tried the DxDiag tool to see if all the DirectX tests pass and are using DirectX 9.0b?

I put it down to the display device drivers (or some other junk that may have been installed) and I plan to recreate a clean system from scratch at some point in the future, since I know that the game worked in an original build of the PC.

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

ive just updated my chipset drivers... in hope that will clear some things up, im going to check the nvidia website for new display drivers... ive just done dxdiag and all the tests are fine.. no problems. Though the lil while box thing is a bit, err, jerky :S

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

ARGH no joy with new chipset drivers... what the heck could it be?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GRrrrrr

Last edited: Dec 28, 2003
  5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Hmmmm.... seems Max Payne has got a patch out for this exact reason..

0/9 - Max Payne v1.02 Patch: A patch has been released to help out with two problems some users encounter with the game. The patch addresses issues with the Windows taskbar showing up inside the game while you play. Full details are available inside the patch itself.

http://www.3drealms.com/max/downloads.html

6. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

don't you have to install the vid card drivers before the chipset drivers with a nF2 board?

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

err, probably.. its an AGP slot card, not intergrated one.. i did that anyway.. i think...

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I think with NF2 boards they only reccomend you install Sp1 prior to install NF2 drivers, for USB 2.0 reaons...

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Yeah, i did that.. i updated windows first then installed drivers, out of habit appart from anything. I managed to fix max payne by downloading said patch, apparently its an issue of video conflicting with sound drivers (not sure quite how, they are both nVidia, would have thought that had been tested) but anyway thats been fixed... ill check my other games for updates

10. JSDK

JSDK Private E-2

Since you have AN7 and say you run stock you must have brandnew computer. AN7 hasnt really made ppl fall all over it but yours seem to work. Expect many biosupgrades. Keep check on development by visiting an Abit forum to visit from time to time like http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=26 any bios-guide, setup trick you see for NF7-S also goes for AN7. Sum of user experiences/findings is worth some time. For example I might soon install Audigy 2 on NF7-S, can give loads of unexplainable weird problems under certain conditions - but I know why and how to avoid thanks to pioneers :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds