Possible heat problem - PC intermittently freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rorschach1791, Jul 3, 2005.

1. rorschach1791

rorschach1791 Private E-2

Stated about 2 weeks ago following a big spyware clean up.

Randomly - although usually when the PC has been on for a while - its used for most of the day - the pc has stared to just hang and i have to switch off using the switch at the back of the pc. The front button does nothing and will not function, as wont alt ctrl delete.

I downloaded the temp monitor programme from here after reading other posts with similar probs and get a reading of
    temp 1 - 41- 43c
    temp 2 - 73c
    hdo - 33c

2. Bambo

Bambo Private First Class

If sensor reports cpu to be 73 degrees it is probably even hotter inside, close to red/unstable area. So may be a good idea to check cpu/fan installation. Take side off and see if fan stops at times, can happen. Also if it need some oil/cleaning a fan might run with very low rpms.

I had simular lockups last week, was testing a new firewall! Strange things happen but you must cpu problem.

The 43c is probably system temp, dont cry about that though it is not low. Temp will depend on where sensor is placed on mobo. Also Im sure it will go down once you fix cpu.

3. Mushroomcloud

Mushroomcloud Private E-2

If it's a pentium 73c is 3c over the recommended redline limit, but they do run hotter without problems. Thermal slowdown is around 80c, or so i'm told. Running at 73c is going to knock years of the life of the cpu, so reduce it as a matter of urgency

4. rorschach1791

Ok thanks for the advice.

You say reduce it as a matter of urgency - how do I do that?

5. rorschach1791

BTT
    Any ideas on how to reduce the cpu temp?

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

To reduce the cpu temp,you try a few things,clean all the dust out of the computer with some canned air "not a vaccum",re seat the cpu hsf with some high quality thermal compound,replace the hsf for an aftermarket one,install some additional case fans,tidy up the wiring inside the case for better airflow.

To find out for sure its the cpu overheating download toast

http://majorgeeks.com/Toast_d867.html

with speedfan running,run taost and watch the temp that goes up fastest thats you cpu temp,see how high it goes,if it is your cpu causing probs the computer should lock up or restart :)

edit if your cpu is at 70c and starts to rise might be a good idea to try some of the cooling options first,make sure you dont fry it :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds