Help Removing Conduit

Discussion in 'Software' started by 20Valve, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Some stupid Firefox toolbar app installed itself on my desktop. It is called "Conduit." It is the most annoying thing on the planet. I think it was installed when I tried to install a radio bar or something like that. I tried a few fixes after some searching. Here is what I tried:

In the Firefox address bar I entered "about:config" and searched out all of the "conduit" entries and reset them. I entered the Firefrox search management and removed Google (to which I understand the app is linked) search engine as an option for searching. I reinstalled Google as a search option. The fix seems temporary, as the toolbar returns after a little time.

I posted this here as I don't think this is malware or spyware, at least based on my investigations. So, does anyone know how to remove this friggin' thing? My head wants to explode.

Thanks for any help.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Does this work? If not download Slimcomputer and do a scan. It should detect any toolbars and remove them.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

SlimComputer.

If those don't work, why not uninstall/reinstall Firefox?

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

@Caliban: I did a search and didn't find Slimcomputer on MajorGeeks. :-o
    Thanks.

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

@20valve

Did you go into Tools> Addons and try to remove it that way?

6. Caliban

@tgell: No problem. :drink

From the first link, I still think walking through those steps, especially using something like Revo Uninstaller, and then uninstalling/reinstalling Firefox should do the trick.

If not, maybe a Registry search for anything related to Conduit?

7. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Well guys, it seems I removed it. It was about a week ago, so I will reply to the posted replies as best as my memory will allow.

Conduit showed up nowhere as an installed program. Not in Vista, not in Firefox, absolutely nowhere. I did try variations with the about:config tweak - resetting "conduit" values, and tweaking the Google search engine defaults within Firefox. Nothing worked permanently.

I poked around ,and found a way to uninstall "Radio Toolbar" which I believe was the offending code that installed Conduit. Unfortunately, I cannot remember if I located it through Firefox or Vista. So, the fix seems to be to find "Radio Toolbar" and remove it. At least in my case. My guess is that their are other programs out there that also install this stupidity.

I don't think this was spyware. It is a case of a legit (debatable) program that the creators just don't want you to be able to uninstall. Which boggles my mind why someone would want to have a business model such as this. That is appalling. No way was I going to go to their website, as I have no idea what kind of nefarious crap they would do to my computer. While researching Conduit, I discovered there were users who actually like the toolbar. Just wait until they get tired of it and try to uninstall it!

Thanks for all of the replies.

8. Caliban

Good job, and good info about the uninstall - may come in handy.
    Don't you just love that word 'nefarious'? ;)

9. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Caliban -

I could have used less, ahem . . . . appropriate adjectives. Oh yeah, thanks for the "Slim Computer" tip. I did try it - no go, but that utility will no doubt come in handy at some time.

Cheers.

10. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

Conduit and Conduit Engine are installed along with Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 Free, whether you want it or not. Even if you uncheck the box that asks if you want to install the toolbar, it still installs.

I can't get it off my computer. I thought MG didn't support this kind of "spyware"/annoyance with their downloads??

Anyway, if anyone knows how to remove it from IE8, I'd appreciate the help.

11. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Newsflash -

I don't know if you read through my previous post, but as I said I searched for Radio Toolbar and removed that, which in turn removed Conduit. I think in my case Radio Toolbar installed the app, so I don't know if that will work in your case.

You might want to let the admins know about that program, as I find them to be very supportive of the community. Good luck.

12. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Brought to MA's attention. :major

13. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Add\Remove programs in Control Panel. Most authors include toolbars now to make money, you either opt out or uninstall later. This is commonplace so its that or never download :) Its not spyware any more than any other toolbar. Its an annoyance in some cases and a fine line. We dont have much choice.

14. Brains

Brains Private E-2

HOW TO REMOVE “CONDUIT SEARCH” FROM YOUR COMPUTER​
    1. Click "Start", input "regedit" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    2. Navigate to the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    a/ Find the “Start Page” and change the value to the home page you want
    I use Google so inserted …http://www.google.co.uk/
    b/ Also find “Local Page” and change the value to “C:\Windows\system32\blank.htm”
    3. Restart your computer to check the result.
    Worked fine for me after trying loads of other people’s ideas … not one worked after numerous hours of trying...... Was I getting sick of listening to these "EXPERTS".

A WORD OF CAUTION The registry is a dangerous area to play in , so it’s advisable to back it up before using my method.
    Best of luck from "BRAINS"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds