No Audio, Install realtek hd audio driver failure

Discussion in 'Software' started by VandaliaM, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VandaliaM

VandaliaM Private E-2

I have recently upgraded from a 32 bit processor and mobo to a 64 bit one, and reinstalled Windows XP media center edition, I have tried everything except the regedit option to get my audio driver to install properly. can someone please give me more information on this method as I believe it is my last option. here is my information.

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
    Date 2008-01-11
    Time 05:39

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:

CPU Type AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor

Motherboard Name

GIGABYTE GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard

kept same hard drive, which is why I think I am having problems with my new mobo and no audio, I think the driver for the old audio is deeply rooted in the HDD somewhere and it won't let me install any new audio drivers. The old system I had was a Gateway, with a P4 3.0 HT, hope this helps anyone.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

OK, by everything you mean you have tried all this:
    Checked Master Volume control.
    Checked Windows Audio Service is started.
    Checked Device Manager for bad drivers.
    Checked your audio mixer software (if installed) for a setting that mutes back panel audio if you have plugged headphones into a front panel audio jack.
    .....Uncheck this setting to allow audio to both the back and front.
    Checked BIOS to insure on-board sound is enabled.
    Installed the correct Chipset and Audio drivers.
    None of that worked?

Have you tried this?
    The Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio driver for Windows may be corrupted or causing problems with the audio driver installation.
    To resolve this, try the following:
    1. Click Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
    2. Look for the following two items: Realtek High Definition Audio Driver and High Definition Audio driver Package - KB888111.
    3. If these items are listed in Add/Remove programs, remove them.
    4. Restart Windows.
    5. Download the latest audio driver for your PC.
    6. Double-click the filename to extract the files.
    7. Go to the folder where the files have been extracted and browse to the \HDAQFE\xpsp2\us\ folder or the \MSHDQFE\Win2K_XP\us\ folder. (The name of this folder depends on your PC model.)
    8. Double-click the file kb888111xpsp2.exe to install the High Definition Audio Driver Package.
    9. Restart Windows.
    10. Install the audio driver.

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I wasn't sure what you meant by the reg fix, so I went back to the thread you originally posted in. That poster had several other audio drivers affecting his install.
    You didn't install a new OS, right? You just kept everything on the old drive and installed it into your upgraded system.
    If you know what type of sound or know the EXACT model of your old Gateway, we can root out the old drivers.

4. VandaliaM

VandaliaM Private E-2

I had reinstalled Windows XP, and my old model was the Gateway 832GM with onboard realtek audio, let me know if you need more information.

5. VandaliaM

VandaliaM Private E-2

I have tried all of these, and there is no audio mixer, I have no sound icon in the bottom right hand of my screen, Bios has onboard audio set to enabled, and if I try to install the proper audio driver from the cd that came with my mobo it says failed to install driver.

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The UAA fix is supposed to stop the failure to install error. Try it like this:
    Uninstall the Realtek folder,
    Download the 2 drivers in the audio section here: http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2416
    Install the Bus driver,
    Restart Windows,
    Install the audio driver.

I will look for some info on that Gateway and get back with you soon.

7. Freak.In.Caige

Freak.In.Caige Private E-2

Hello, this has not worked for me...
    Any more suggestions?
    Any help greatly appreciated!

Nick.

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Sure, first start a thread of your own so that we don't have cross-fired answers here. And offer up some more info: make, model # of your PC, OS, and your mother board ID, if you know it.

9. Freak.In.Caige

Freak.In.Caige Private E-2

10. VandaliaM

VandaliaM Private E-2

I have tried this and every other method listed and I still get the failure to install realtek !! notification. I think there is a conflict between my old audio driver from my gateway 832gm and my new computer, since I used the same HDD, is there any way to go into my registry and manually delete the old driver or is this not my problem at all? thanks for the help.

11. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

First, try installing your chipset drivers, reboot and see if the audio drivers will install after that.
    NVIDIA MCP61 Chipset Driver (include chipset\lan\sata raid driver)
    http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Mothe...ProductID=2416

From what I could find out the Gateway had Realtek HD audio, so if you already followed my steps and removed the Realtek folders earlier, there should be no conflict.

12. VandaliaM

VandaliaM Private E-2

I tried this out and I am still getting the "Install Realtek HD Audio Driver Failure !!" screen... any suggestions?

13. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The Realtek drivers have been stubborn lately and different things are working for different systems. This is one, nearly the same as above but slightly different.

And this was another.
    You may want to try these last two by installing your driver from the disc.

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This may be what you really need and the problem everyone is having with Realtek. Even though the Realtek folders are being removed by Add / Remove the Registry Entry is not. This is how to remove it.
    Messing with the Registry is serious stuff. Follow these steps exactly AND make a restore point before editing.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB888111
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.

Now try installing the driver, either from CD or a download.

15. VandaliaM

VandaliaM Private E-2

I don't know which method eventually worked for me but I finally got it working thanks %100 to you Musksnipe, thanks for going through all that effort and spending time to help me out, it's much appreciated.

16. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

No prob and some of that fix came from the guys in the thread you started in.
    Rock on, Dude! [​IMG]

17. desktop

desktop Private E-2

musksnipe, I want to thank you for your advice in post #2. I have been dealing with a Realtek audio driver problem since updating my DS4 to BIOS version F11 and was getting nowhere (except a nice comfy spot in a rubber room, lol). I followed the steps for resolving the UAA High Definition Audio driver and now my audio driver is installed and is working fine.

Thank you!

18. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

:) Glad it helped you!

19. nahador

nahador Private E-2

I got it fixed like this: Removing the UAA bus.(MyComputer->Hardware->Device manager->System devices) And then installing the realtek drivers. When installing realtek it will install UAA that is needed for the drivers.

20. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yes, in a perfect world it should work like that, but there are several factors that can prevent that. Glad you got yours fixed.

21. brow96

brow96 Private E-2

The reason it worked was that Realtek is only one I know of that has a routine built in to install the UAA driver, for you. If you still have the archive laying around? Take a look inside of it and you'll find a MS directory. Inside of that you will find the files necessary to install it on Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP SP1 and Windows XP SP2. Conexant HD audio does not have these files, nor does ADI HD Audio (SoundMAX).

BTW, they ARE Microsoft files, they are digitally signed by MS. They are the same files you get by requesting the Hot Fix. It saves you the trouble of requesting the Hot Fix from Microsoft!

HTH

Bill

22. Lubricator

Lubricator Private E-2

First Post, hope it's correct. I've been lurking too long. Musksnipe, your post #2 and #6 put me over the top after 4hrs. New Gig M/B AM2. After reading all the information, I also realized (uninstall SP3 on XP Pro). I got carried away on this new install.
    Thanks for all the help and Thanks to Major Geeks.

23. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Closed as original posters PC is fixed with great work from Musksnipe, but to all who read this, please try the steps mentioned in this thread first if they are exactly like your issue, but if you cannot fix it with the info here, please start your own new thread and remember to include the same computer information that VandaliaM included in their first post as this will help us find the correct drivers.

Many thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds