Should iTunes changes its name?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Atlantic44, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Atlantic44

Atlantic44 Corporal

Lets face it.

It has been an awful long time since iTunes came out, and it certainly has evolved from the humble music store it once was.

With over 500,000 apps and hundreds of movies/tv shows, I say it's high time apple calls it something else.

What do you guys think? ;)

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Well, if i say itunes to most random people they know what it is, and i dont see how any brand would change away from something so recognizable.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You could pretty much say that about any big online entity.

The biggest mistake any of them could do is change their name...even if it doesn't fully describe it as it once did. As Colemanguy said, everyone knows what iTunes is and what it has. No reason for Apple to chance that...imo.

4. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I respectfully disagree; in my opinion iTunes has name recognition and brand power. I see no reason for Apple to change iTunes to another name.

5. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

iTunes are still called iTunes for some very good reasons. Mainly that it is a Marketing Execs. dream - an instantly recognizable name. ~That is why they are billionaires and your not. (My apologies if you are, indeed a closet billionaire).rolleyes

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The selection has become pretty 'broad' now,maybe btunes or b and then maybe name it after Jobs?

7. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I fully agree with leaving it as it is from a business standpoint.
    As Laura suggested, a change in name would harm the company.

Lets give you possibly one of the biggest examples of what the OP is suggesting.

Coca-Cola.

How many thousands of products does this company make?

What do you think would happen if you could no longer buy a product called "Coke" or "Coca-Cola", would you buy a can of "Multi Food Products"?
    No, the name has it's roots and if itunes is still going in a hundred years you will see the question pop up on game shows and trivia alike "Why is it called itunes?" Answer: "because when it first started it only dealt in music"

Company name changes have rarely been a good idea, especially when the company name is a household term/phrase/name.

8. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Do we call it "Apple Play?"

9. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

cIder :-D

10. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If there were truth in advertising, my thought would be to change it to iHaveToDownloadAS**tloadOfBloatwareToUseThisService.com. :-D

PS: Amazon rules! ;)

11. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

What loads of bloatware does itunes have? I mean honestly, its a large program but it does a large range of things.

12. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Amazon uses a minuscule download program. In contrast, most of Apple's software (iTunes, Quicktime, etc.) adds to the startup/boot time of Windows. Even if it's just a few seconds, it qualifies as bloatware based on the fact that - if Apple used a standardized format such as .mp3 - the PC owner/user could use existing software (such as Windows Media Player) without having to jump through hoops or "licensing" the PC for iTunes.

If Microsoft made its content and software downloads available only through Internet Explorer, the s**t would hit the fan on claims of unfair trade practices. I fail to see how this is any different other than the fact I can choose to use alternative services such as Amazon and Netflix.

13. LauraR

+1

Agreed on all accounts. Its another of my major issues with Apple...all the proprietary BS... including their programs. Yes, I know full well I don't have to use it, but I do. That doesn't mean I don't get to complain about it. :-D

At least they've made it so you can completely disregard Quicktime. That was a step in the right direction.

14. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

I respectful disagree, if it really bothered you, you wouldn't use it. The reason itunes has so much content, is because of the way its "protected". Most artists and creators want to be paid for there work, and thats how apple gets them to allow there content, by the fact that they drm. Yeah it sucks sometimes, but really theres many easy ways around it if you have to.

15. LauraR

I'm talking about the software installed on my computer, which I use specifically for my iPhone. I don't buy any content from the itunes store...I buy from Amazon...mp3 files at .30 cents less a song...it's a no brainer.

and not true, C-man. I use a lot of things that bother me. :-D I also reserve the right to complain about them...particularly when I'm paying. ;)

16. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Ah i misunderstood, and had forgotten you had an iphone.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds