Is Ghost 12 doing well for Vista imaging/restore?

Discussion in 'Software' started by britney26, Sep 15, 2007.

1. britney26

britney26 Private E-2

Need imaging util for Vista. Can get Ghost 12 free after rebates, bundled w/ Partition Magic (have it) & Internet Security (you can have it).

What's the consensus on how well Ghost 12 does w/ Vista (or any other company's drive imaging util)? Or is there one?

I have Ghost 9 & 2003 - used on W98 / XP, but honestly never had to restore an image, so don't really know how good it would have been.

Honestly, don't think there'd be any difference in support from Symantec (fairly non-existent) and a free imaging utility. There may be differences in ease of use & accuracy. Doesn't matter if something like this is free, if it doesn't work right.

Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I dont have any experience with Norton Ghost 12 and Vista, their specs say it works ok.

But I can answer your next question on what I feel is a good imagine program for Vista, in Acronis True Image 10, I have used Acronis True Image for years and their version 10 works perfectly in Vista and due to a fair bit of testing I do with Operating Systems I do have to recover a standard install Image/Clone at times and this application is accurate and not failed my yet.

It is very easy to use and their support team are also good.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Acronis_True_Image_d2236.html ( trial )

3. britney26

britney26 Private E-2

Thanks Halo, Good to know about Acronis. I've looked at it some too.
    It's not on sale "for free" or even reduced after rebates right now, unfortunately. That's not the only consideration, but it is one.

I'm just cautious of new versions & how well they work w/ Vista (esp Symantec).

Anyone actually used Ghost & Vista or read up on it?

4. DavidGP

5. britney26

britney26 Private E-2

Thanks. No, Vista Hm Prem came on the laptop. AFAIK, it doesn't have the backup / imaging. I do NOT have the INSTALLATION disks, but ONLY the Toshiba RECOVERY disks.

I reinstalled (restored) it once, to see if I could selectively not install some of the apps. It was all or nothing, and kind of slow.

6. DavidGP

Yes sadly the restore disks from OEMs only allow a full instal of all applciations and many of them likely you dont want, so applications like Ghost and True Image allow you to produce your own restore disks/installs.

I can only suggest my personal experience with both Vista for 10 months + and Acronis as being the best solution, yes sadly its not free but its a great piece of software.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds