Trying to do factory restore on presario 6000 for a friend but can't get it to work

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcduke, Feb 15, 2010.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I'm trying to restore a Presario 6000 to factory default. It's infected and the anti-virus program won't remove it. I've tried to do a system restore but I get the message that it's infected to. She tried loading norton 2010 anti virus but she can't get online to activate it. So, while norton tells her about the virus, It won't remove it until it's activated. I get the message "worm32.netsky detected" . So I figured if I just do a system restore to factory default using the online partition info it could take care of the problem. However, I can't get the computer to use the restore function. I've tried hitting f10,f11,f12 on start up with no luck. Anyone with suggestions?

2. Noone

Noone Private E-2

Re: Trying to do factory restore on presario 6000 for a friend but can't get it to wo

It's F10 when the compaq logo comes up on boot. If that doesnt work, you can try to use a partition table editor like PTEDIT32 to unhide the hidden fat32 partition and set it active so it will boot from the restore partition.

You can also order restore DVD media from compaq for a fee.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Re: Trying to do factory restore on presario 6000 for a friend but can't get it to wo

A couple of things:

What is the exact model number from the tag on the back of the PC?

I looked at a generic guide for the 6000 series and it looks like you have to burn CDs to use the recovery partition. Maybe an exact model number will clarify if you can boot from the recovery partition but I don't see any reference to that option in the manual.

It sounds like you can still run Windows is there anything like All Programs>CompaQ>Recovery CD Creator available? Or did your friend already burn/lose the CDs?

4. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

The model number is Compaq Presario 6000 6RPXE1. I tried the website and apparently they don't offer a recovery disk from HP ( I guess the computer is considered to old). She purchased Norton 2010 but never activated it and now she can't even find it. Norton says it's finding a lot of different worms and viruses but won't fix them without being activated.
    The computer is an old 1.8 celeron system and I'm not sure it's worth a lot of time and effort to fix this thing. I certainly don't think it's worth putting any money into it. What do you think??

5. Michael York

Michael York Norton Authorized Support Team

Hi mcduke,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Since you have a valid license to Norton AntiVirus 2010, I would recommend that you contact Norton Customer Support at the link below. They will be able to assist you in making sure that your subscription is synchronized properly and can also help you with threat removal.

Norton Customer Support

Thank you,
    Mike

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

According to this
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00008955&lc=en&cc=us&product=240260&dlc=en
    it came with a Compaq Restore Plus! CD see if she can look through her CDs. You might be able to boot from that to restore it.

Also from this posting in Dec. 2009, it appears that the CD might still be available.
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware/compaq-presario-6rpxe1-ethernet-driver/td-p/190770
    I looked all over the site and I could not see to find a place to order it. It might be worth sending an email to tech support to see if you can purchase it.

7. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Hi guys and thanks for the replies. Unfortunately Compaq informed me that they can not send out any recovery disks for this model (It's older and not supported any more). So, I'm just going to inform the friend I was trying to help out that's it's not worth putting any money into it (she would have to get another OS and since she can't even find the disk/box the nortons anti virus came in, she would also have to get that again too). I guess she'll just have to get a new computer. Well, atleast it'll help spur the economy. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds