What is a CPU's actual speed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sailor, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

Well this is an incredibly dum question but I need to know.
    I have an Athlon64 3500+. Now is this "3500" the clock's speed? Because all the monitoring utilities give me a cpu clock of 2.21 GH. Is "3500" just the name of the processor series?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

There's no dumb questions! Except the ones that don't get asked!

You're right; the Athlon 64 3500+ (I have the same CPU at home) does not run at 3.5GHz, but it does a number of operations equivalent to an Intel processor running at 3.5GHz.

I had a good article explaining how AMD achieves this, but I've since lost it. :(

3. candle_86

candle_86 Private E-2

its 2.2ghz and the way its measured is it runs equvilant to an Athlon Thunderbird at 3.5ghz if there ever was one. It manages to beat Intel Pentium 4 line because it can do more work per clock than the Pentium.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Sorry, that's not quite right. INTEL processors do more per clock cycle! I remembered where I found my info! DUH ME! It was right here on Majorgeeks!

From the Overclocking Guide:

5. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

Thanks a lot. By the way, Hyper-Threading is disabled in my Athlon. How can I enable it and what exactly will the results be? I've heard that it is a common tweak for high performance.

6. candle_86

candle_86 Private E-2

not true at all, let me put this in a simpler way thats easy to understand.

The Pentium 4 has a 16 or 18 stage pipline, the Willimate and the Northwood are 16 stage and the Presscott is 18 stage. Now all Athlon 64's CPU's are 10 stage, so they can put the work out faster than a Pentium per clock. This is also the reason why Early Pentium 4's couldnt beat the Pentium III and why a Conroe is faster than PEntium and Athlon, having the old 8stage pipeline agian

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds