Templates for create/print business cards with Excel ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by akm, Aug 30, 2007.

1. akm

akm Sergeant

How to create/print business cards with Excel ?
    Any ideas ???

2. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Better off in Softrware forum. Honestly, I use Publisher 2003.

~C

So moved Calltaker

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2007
  3. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

It is possible, it's just a matter of expanding the rows and columns to the size of the cards, making sure you don't put too many on one sheet. Turning them sidewise, to make them taller than wide.

4. bob3690

bob3690 Private E-2

I don't know about Excel but www.avery.com have card templates for MS Word.

5. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks all for the replies.
    Would like to stay with Excel... am more familiar/comfortable with the graphics etc.
    IMHO, Word is a hassle, and not at all familiar with Publisher (have in Office2003 but not worked with).
    Triaxx2, was hoping to find a pre-made template so didnt need to create by trial and (mostly by me) error, but guess could go that route if necessary.
    Probably asking the impossible, but as someone said 'dont know til ask'.

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I understand you'd like to use Excel because you're most familiar with it. But, if you're willing to spend a little time working with Publisher, I think you'll find it well worth the time. It has many nice business card templates to choose from. Publisher is really designed for this type of thing; Excel is not.

When you first open it, you'll see "Publications for print" on the left side of the Publisher window. Expand that to view a list of all the types of publications Publisher can be used for. Business cards is on the list. The editing capabilities allow extensive modifications to the templates.

7. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the suggestion/s.
    Have tried all MS Office programs and IMHO Excel really seems to work best for creating simple standard shape/s graphics with text etc... easy to create and modify text and shapes, easy to create scale grid to help with layout, etc.
    But, like you said, its not really set up to print business cards, and would need to spend the time to create a template in Excel that would fit a standard label/business card print sheet (not fun).
    So, have created the graphic/text logo in Excel, did screen shot to Paint and can save as jpg, bmp, etc for use in another program easiest to create custom business card layout and print to card paper.
    Took a look at Publisher and it didnt seem to work that well for creation of the graphics/text logo itself, but maybe if have the logo/file then would be easy to create the rest of the card and insert the logo (if so, what logo graphics file format would be best) ?
    Thoughts ?

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I think it doesn't make any difference what graphics file format you choose for this purpose. As long as you get the final product to look the way you want, that's the main thing.

By the way, I believe Publisher has about 56 business card templates, plus some more "special paper" templates that can be installed from the Office CD.

9. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

10. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the info.
    Have done a lot of searching for bus card print 'templates' for Excel and came up empty.
    Think 'usafveteran' has a point and recognizes that Im partial to Excel for doing a lot of things... imho its simple and bendable in a lot more ways than Word etc., but thats just opinion and not much more.
    Guess my next step in the learning curve is to figure out which program and business card template is easiest to work with by inserting the logo graphic file and then add text accordingly.
    Seems like some (the little that have tried) are stuck on row spacing and do not allow as much flexibility in location.
    Answer in Excel is to create all in text boxes and move around... maybe can do the same with Publisher etc... we will see what happens.
    Wish me luck !!! :)
    ...and thanks again.
    akm

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds