Computer shutting off...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sammael840, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Sammael840

Sammael840 Private E-2

I know there have been a lot of posts about this, and I have read a lot of them but I am still not sure what to do with my computer... I'm not a computer wizard so I don't know all the technical specs of my comp but the problem I get is this:

When I run a game that requires 3d rendering from my graphics card it shuts down after a random amount of time. I can browse the internet, play any game that -doesn't- use 3d rendering, and watch movies. I have updated the drivers for my 9800 pro to the most recent ones and my Audigy 2 ZS also has all the required updates. I use a 350 watt power supply, and there is not much else I can think of... I have 768 mb of ram and only a 2ghz Intel P4 processor... I would imagine this is a cooling problem since I have had this setup before and it ran fine. The only difference is that now my computer isn't on a cement floor, it is on my desk. Any suggestions would be -greatly- appreciated :(.

Thanks, and sorry for a semi-repetative post =/.

2. happymeal79

happymeal79 Private E-2

It sounds like the power supply. Get a 500W high quality one.

3. Sammael840

Sammael840 Private E-2

Any suggestions? I must admit this computer is a few years old and is just a gateway PC.. so I have to get ones to fit the case. Thanks for the info though, I will talk to a gateway rep maybe and then they can point me to a good power supply. I just thought it was odd that it just started now, but you are probably right.

4. tsnami dream

tsnami dream Private E-2

i have the same problem (see my earlier post) and again only happens while playing demanding 3d games, so i have just ordered a new thermaltake 480w psu (560w peak!) to replace the 400w max output q-tec supply that has been in my brand new machine all of one week! . its due to arrrive tommorow and i`ll let you know if it cures the fault ( it better as i cant afford anything else!)

5. Sammael840

Sammael840 Private E-2

Yeah, the thing that gets me is that it just started happening after I moved. It had been running fine until then. I checked to see if the fan was broken on the graphics card but it still works and all the wires are connected well... I might just go for buying a fan or two to put inside the case before I get a new power supply. But yes, do tell me if it does work because then I might just have to go for that.

All I can do now is browse the net, talk on AIM and play my trusty MUD :p.

6. ThisChick

ThisChick Corporal

I had a similar problem in one of my computers, but unlike some of you my computer doesn't shutdown after playing those 3d redering games. It just shuts down because it wan'ts to. So is there any other comment you guys could give me on fixing my problem.....

thankyou
    pam...

7. tsnami dream

tsnami dream Private E-2

got my new power supply today and guess what ......no more problems all is 100% ok

8. Sammael840

Sammael840 Private E-2

Yeah it's kind of odd... I let my comp cool down a while over night and then I was able to play games for a few hours before it started to mess up again. It's really frustrating... I just don't think it is my power supply because I -have- used my comp for a long time like this. It just happened once I installed UT2004... I mean hell, my comp doesn't even feel that hot -_-. However, this last time it shut off I heard a kind of "ticking" sound coming from near the two CD drives and the power supply... I dunno, maybe I have a bad power supply. Oh well =/.

9. Sammael840

Sammael840 Private E-2

Well, I used a program to get some info on my comp so:

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2000 MHz (5 x 400)
    Motherboard Name Intel Garibaldi D850GB (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 RIMM)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Tehama i850
    System Memory 768 MB (RDRAM)
    BIOS Type AMI (07/25/01)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter RADEON 9800 PRO - Secondary (128 MB)
    Video Adapter RADEON 9800 PRO (128 MB)
    3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)
    Monitor Gateway EV910C (112969516)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Creative EMU10K2 Audigy Audio Processor

Storage:
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive WDC WD800BB-53BSA0
    Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B (16x/10x/40x CD-RW)
    Optical Drive MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8587 (16x/48x DVD-ROM)

Partitions:
    C: (FAT32) 76297 MB (46977 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)
    Mouse Microsoft USB Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint)

Sorry if this is too much info -_-. All of this is running on a 350 watt power supply and I only have fans on the power supply (2) mobo (1) graphics card (1). I still don't think this is a power supply problem just because I can run games for a long time sometimes after I let my comp sit a while. Oh well, hopefully this info helps some. If not I guess it's time for a new power supply =/.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds