Internet disconnects while streaming video.... ne1 know why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jtomara37, Nov 28, 2007.

1. jtomara37

jtomara37 Private E-2

Some movie clips I try to watch on the internet disconnect me.... Logged into blockbuster to check out some trailers of movies a few minutes ago and it disconnected me from the internet.

The only way I have discovered to fix it after it disconnects is to reset my modem (powercycle rather=unplug for 30secs or so and power back up)

This had been happening for over a couple years. what I usually do instead of facing the problem I either avoid it completely and just resign from watching that trailer or if I want it bad enough I'll find the movie's website and might have better luck there watching the trailer instead of blockbuster or another sites streaming media....

1. Why does it disconnect me from the internet while trying to stream media?
    2. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from reoccuring?

Thx all for your time

Jerry

2. jtomara37

jtomara37 Private E-2

Hmm.. maybe I didnt post this in the right section on the forums.. If not I apologize... I don't want to start spamming other sections tho with same info

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Might wait more then a few hours for answer, probably a day or two before bumping your post :)

4. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Are you dialup or high speed?

I had a similar problem with a DSL wireless router. Finally had to buy another brand of router, which fixed the problem.

5. jtomara37

jtomara37 Private E-2

I have high speed, comcast. I have a linksys wireless b model: befw11s4 router... Quite frustration when it happens on my wifes computer downstairs and have to come all the way upstairs to powercycle the modem.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Does this happen on all the computers? Does it happen at sites other than Blockbuster? I'm trying to figure out if it might be a setting on just one computer or something in the router. I'm also trying to figure out if it is just for one site or several sites.
    What OS are you using and what browser?

Here are the firmware versions listed:
    http://www.allaboutjake.com/network/linksys/befw11s4/firmware/
    Do you know what version you are running?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  7. jtomara37

jtomara37 Private E-2

1. Yes it does happen on all computers.. mine that is hard wired and also my wife's that is downstairs and is wireless.

2. Yes it does happen on other websites. I never can tell which website will disconnect us when trying to stream some movie or video clip.... If the movie doesnt start buffering right away I know that it has diconnected me.

3. I use Windows xp home all windows updates critical and optional are done

4. I am using internet explorer for a browser (version 7 i believe) the newest updated version.

5. Firmware Version: 1.52.02 appears to be whats current i believe? Thats what I saw when logging into the router up in top right.

Why could it be the router causing this problem? I'm curious if it is the router why is it just doing this with streaming media and not with all just some websites?... kinda confusing me although I not that computer savvy.

Could it also be something else causing the problem with disconnecting me from internet?

Thx again

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Well, I need some place to start to look for problems. Your router is older.
    Note I have a newer Linksys router, I'm running wired and wireless computers, I'm also using Comcast and I am not disconnected when I'm streaming media to either wired or wireless computers. Since it isn't limited to one site we can rule out a quirk with one web site, it isn't Comcast pulling the plug and if it happens on both computers (wired and wireless) than the common element is that the feed is coming through the router to each of your computers.

Did this happen while you were using IE 6? Because if it started recently, then we might also look at the settings in IE 7 as the cause of the problem.

Do this: take the wired computer (I hope you are running a software firewall and antivirus - if not, ignore my suggestion) , plug the computer directly into the modem and bypass the router. Go to the netflix site and view some streaming media. Does the computer log you off? If yes, then we'll look at IE 7; if not, we will look at the router.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds