600 MB of RAM and 25 GB of hard drive space available but still running out of memory

Discussion in 'Software' started by mrfettucini, Dec 21, 2007.

1. mrfettucini

mrfettucini Private E-2

I'm running Windows XP Pro and have 4GB of RAM in my computer, with about 3.15 GB showing up. I have a TON of things open (about 50 programs and documents, including 200+ firefox tabs), and as I continue to open programs and documents I am starting to get 'not enough memory available' messages.

I don't see why this should be, given that there is still plenty of hard drive and disk space available. It seems like I am hitting some kind of wall in Windows. Anyone know what could be causing this?

I am considering using PAE to try to free up the full 4 GB of RAM, as described here: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Re: 600 MB of RAM and 25 GB of hard drive space available but still running out of me

That is quite a bit of memory you have installed. We shouldn't run out, even with your high demand.

Are we certain it's not saying low on VIRTUAL memory?

Also, re the PAE switch:

If you're on a 32-bit OS, you do NOT support more that 4GB. Hence why you only see 3.x GB. Some of the 4GB total is taken by video and audio memory.
    You may be better off using the boot.ini switch since Windows claims a large portion of your system memory for its executive services alone. This would make more available to your applications.

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Re: 600 MB of RAM and 25 GB of hard drive space available but still running out of me

Actually, maybe this is a better link to show you. The procedure in the first is the same, however.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its not so simple as saying, 32 bit XP can support 4gb of ram...

Only 2gb can be addressed to applications. The other 2gb is reserved for kernel usage.

So far all intents and purposes, your apps cannot use more than 2gb of ram.

Edit; Just realized Mada addressed all of this.

5. mrfettucini

mrfettucini Private E-2

Thanks everyone. So do you think my best bet is to use the /3GB switch in conjunction with PAE? Or would PAE not even be necessary?

Thanks,
    Mike

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Is there a need for 200 tabs, 50 documents and programs, or just trying to load test? Virtual memory and swapping, along with Processor limitations can be a reason that you are seeing the message.

7. mrfettucini

mrfettucini Private E-2

Yes, unfortunately there is a need because of the nature of my job. I researched the /3GB switch and I don't like the fact that it takes memory away from Windows to give it to the applications...although perhaps if PAE was enabled in conjunction with the /3GB switch then enough memory would be available for both. I guess I may have to try different configurations of PAE and the /3GB switch to see what works best.

Any further thoughts on my best course of action?

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

64 bit Windows.

9. mrfettucini

mrfettucini Private E-2

Possible, but it seems like there are still too many software compatibility issues.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Such as?

As long as you have signed 64 bit drivers, you should see mostly smooth sailing.

11. mrfettucini

mrfettucini Private E-2

I've just read that there can be issues, but I will look into it.

In the meantime, I tried implementing the /3GB and /PAE switches in my boot.ini file and still ran into issues.

Then I took out the /3GB switch and left /PAE in. Now, while my computer still only displays 3.14 GB of RAM in the task manager, I believe it is using the full 4 GB or very close to it.

Today I had open outlook, outlook express, firefox with 300 tabs, flock with 15 tabs, opera with 10 tabs, internet explorer with 3 tabs, 5 spreadsheets, 2 word docs, trillian with 7 connections, gotomeeting, skype, dreamweaver, visual studio, illustrator, fireworks, ftp software, adwords editor and some other small random programs, and only ran into a memory issue when I tried to open photoshop on top of all that.

So, if anyone is interested, it seems that having 4 GB of RAM and putting /PAE in your boot.ini file will give you a LOT of horsepower! :)

12. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Not so much Active memory issues, but you are choking the OS by trying to swap so much in and out. The key is, if you do not need 300 tabs opened (which I cannot see anyone looking at that many sites at one time) in FF, IE with 3, 5 spreadsheets, 2 Word docs, multiple connections, etc (XP Pro can only handle 10 simultanious connections). Best bet is to stop load testing the machine, and only use what you need at that time, and close what you do not.

Even with a 64bit OS, you are still going to run into problems, unless you use a Xeon processor, and server grade equipment for a desktop.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds