lost drivers due to upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aimeelou, Feb 26, 2008.

1. aimeelou

aimeelou Private E-2

Oh No! It took me ages to type out this thread - only to find I hadn't logged in:cry. Oh well here I go again.

Okay, I tried to upgrade my son's PC from 2000 pro to XP. Instead, i ended up doing a new install and in the process lost some of the drivers/software (not sure of the difference). I have no audio, and virtually no graphics. We bought the computer from a recycling centre so it comes without any set-up or driver cd's and is probably custom made so I can't just give you the make and model. Here is all the info I have got.

From Device Manager:
    The dreaded yellow warning signs under video controller, multimedia audio controller and ethernet controller. Under 'properties' I get a message to reinstall drivers (code 28). Tried to reinstall, but got a message saying the drivers couldn't be reinstalled as the software could not be found.

From Display settings:
    Colour management is at 4-bits with no higher options.
    Monitor properties are not highlighted at all ( it's a Proview 786N).
    Adapter just says VgaSave.

From PC Wizard:
    Manufacturer - Elonex
    OS - XP pro, 5.01.2600, service Pk 2
    Motherboard:Microstar International ms-6526
    Chipset - i845G
    Processor - Intel pentium 4
    Video card - Intel Corp 82845G/GL/GV/GE/PE integrated graphics drive
    Network cards - 3Com corp, networking device 3C905C-TX fast etherlink for PC management. And
    Intel corp 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) PRO/100 VE Network connection
    Device Audio - 82801DB/DBL/DBM AC'97 Audio controller
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - Intel (R) 82801DB Ultra ATA storage controller 24CB.

I did a scan which said I need drivers for the following:
    Video, multimedia audio and ethernet controllers.
    The 3Com network adapter
    The IDE/ATAPI controller

Now, I'm so confused I might spontaneously combust at any given moment. Do I get the drivers from Microstar or find seperate ones for each component and how do I know if they're compatible with windows XP?, or download them from microsoft. I did visit microsoft but went round and round in circles, but in one of the articles it said you could download 2000 drivers in some cases even though you're using XP.

Any help would be appreciated - especially as while my son's PC is out of action; he's using mine:(

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

3. aimeelou

aimeelou Private E-2

Fred G - You are a God and I want to have your babies!:hyper

Hour upon hour I've spent on this. My husband thought he was a lone parent.

It's all so easy when you know how isn't it?

Thank you so much.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Sounds like you just got proposed to, Fred. roflmao

Being a geek has it's moment's. ;)

5. aimeelou

aimeelou Private E-2

I'm very easily pleased.

Just one more thing - do I download these onto my PC and burn them onto a disc, or can I do it directly onto my son's PC?

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Perhaps I should change my sig... :D

If you can get on the internet on your son's computer, download to it. Or you can put it on a CD, that way you will have a copy if you need it later.

E

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  7. aimeelou

aimeelou Private E-2

:clap:dancer:celebrate:dood:hyper:highfive:p

It worked! And it was so easy! Mr Babbage eat your heart out!

Thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds