Vista freezes except when in safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by metalguy, Oct 18, 2009.

1. metalguy

metalguy Private E-2

My laptop just had vista basic re-installed and it freezes every minute or so. I have been running it in safe mode with networking to use the internet and it works fantastic! The only problem is limited functionality and horrible graphics. Why does it work so good in safe mode and not normally?
    Someone told me it might be the graphics card so I checked device manager for any yellow flags but it said device was working properly. I then disabled the card and still had the problems. I am now in safe mode with bad graphics and no sound lol. Thanks for the help!

Asus X53SR Full Specification

Processor

Clock speed 1.66 GHz Processor type Core 2 Duo T5450 Processor manufacturer Intel
    RAM

RAM installed 2048 MB RAM technology DDR2
    Storage Hard Drive

Hard drive size 160 GB
    Optical Storage

CD / DVD type HD DVD / DVD±RW CD / DVD read speed 24x CD, 8x DVD CD / DVD rewrite speed 10x CD-RW, 4x DVD-RW
    Interfaces / Networking

USB 3 PC Card 1 Ethernet Yes Infrared No Bluetooth Yes Wireless networking No
    Video Output

Graphics processor ATI Mobility Radeon HD X2400 Video outputs VGA, DVI, S-Video
    Display

Display technology LCD Display diagonal size 15.4 in. Maximum resolution 1280x800 pixels
    Audio

Soundcard Realtek High Definition Audio Audio inputs/outputs Headphone, microphone Built-in speakers Yes
    Dimensions / Weight

Dimensions (W x H x D) 365x40x270mm Weight 2.95 kg Available colours Black, Silver
    Battery

Battery technology Li-ion Number of batteries supplied 1 Estimated battery life (mfr) 2.5 hours Max batteries supported 1

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you have any other yellow ! marks in device manager, if so what?
    Also if and again in device manager you double click Display Adapters and whats written as the driver name?

Just thinking that you dont have all the drivers installed, and main one maybe Chipset, so goto ASUS Support and download and install your Chipset driver and then reboot and try.

Also as you just re-installed, what other applications have you installed, I'm more thinking of ones that will startup with the PC as in security software etc? what you could try is to enter msconfig and its startup tab and untick everything then start your PC in normal mode, does it work ok? if so one of those startups is the cause, tick one at a time and reboot to find which one, then check for updates to that application or uninstall and look for alternative.

3. metalguy

metalguy Private E-2

There are no yellow warnings at all. I installed the chipset driver but its still freezing. even as im writing this the letters dont appear until about 10 seconds after i type them. when i turn the comp on everything works for about 5 minutes then things start to freeze, music starts to skip and firefox is not responding with a white haze over the screen. Im rebooting now with everything unticked from the startup tab (only 4 things were there..)
    thanks for the help.

4. metalguy

metalguy Private E-2

Well its working a bit better after disabling everything but firefox keeps freezing

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  5. DavidGP

Hi

If you have everything disabled using msconfig and the PC is still acting sluggishly then re-enable all the startups in msconfig and I would then run through the guide below as the possible is malware infection on your PC.

6. metalguy

metalguy Private E-2

No offense but this all started with a clean install from a perfectly working computer. These problems began 3 seconds after I first booted up. So i dont think its malware, plus I just checked my event viewer and its FULLof errors and problems. I just dont know how to decipher what its saying or how to fix it. Is there a diagnostic tool i could run and then screencap the results and show it you? Thanks again!

7. metalguy

metalguy Private E-2

bump...

8. DavidGP

9. metalguy

metalguy Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds