Dell computer...dell parts only?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jak3y, Aug 3, 2005.

1. jak3y

jak3y Guest

friend asked me to upgrade her memory to 1Gig from 128MB (l0l)...SO my question is, does it have to be dell memory? im assuming not...but this is the first time i dealt with a dell so just wanted to find out, as well if im reinstalling WINXPro, i guess i would need drivers for the MoBo, Vid, and sound card, right?
    thanks...

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Typically the drivers will be found at Dell's website.

Also, you should have no problems installing NON-Dell components in that machine. But first, you need to make sure that that computer can even handle 1 gig of ram. Also, you should be able to enter the model number of that dell into dells website and find all the infor you need.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

totally agree with theefool on the memory,

another very good resource is to use Crucials Memory Advisor Tool as it lists the correct type of memory and how much you can actually install, for most Pre-Built PCs from DELL, HP etc etc

http://www.crucial.com/

then you can with the info gained go hunt for the cheapest branded memory.

4. jak3y

jak3y Guest

thefool, good call on memory, found that out probably when you were replying to this thread, MAX it can go is 512...wow shitty.
    I cant believe DELL is making millions and billions now by building just crap. (no offense to those who own them), but after 2 IBM desktops then being convinced by my friends to build my own (i bought the parts, buddy built it)
    NEVER going to get anything other than self built...cost way less and runs MINT!
    Love AMD to.

Halo thanks for the link, will definitely look into it.

Also fool, forgot to add on Dells site they dont give drivers, they only give the products and that's it, no drivers
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dzuul/
    unless im not looking properly.
    Another issue is, she doesnt have the Dell Resource CD, installing a clean-dell free WinXPro on the comp...so ya...now what...?lol

5. DavidGP

6. jak3y

jak3y Guest

7. DavidGP

yep it is ;)

Its the ADI one also known as Analogue Devices Inc ( ADI ) thats the full corporate id.

as for the network intel driver, i would be very suprised if the OS didnt pick that on up on install as I have one PC with same and it finds it on install, no further driver to download, if you did have to get one then Intel will have it.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

The biggest thing I hate about dell is their driver support. Oh, they give out drivers, but they give like 8 different types of drivers pending on the device you have. So, whenever I'm working on a dell, I always use Everest Home Edition. Yes it can detect devices you have installed even if windows has no clue what the device is (most of the time).

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

9. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Private E-2

a little late, but i upgraded my dell 4600 from 512mb of pc3200 to 1024mb. i used the crucial.com site that was listed above. very simple, very easy. fairly inexpensive too i think.

10. gilsmethod

gilsmethod Private E-2

no it does not have to be Dell Memory, I have a Dell laptop & Desktop, both have been upgraded with other mfg's ram (crucial, mushkin) and it works fine...as long as you get the correct type of dimm you'll be fine...good luck!

11. jak3y

jak3y Guest

awesome guys, thanks for the help...tell you what...lottery tomorrow here is $17million, if i win...ill send a lil coin your way...;) thanks again.

btw cpu-id www.cpuid.com (also has a latency program, don't know anything about that stuff...but you guys may like it) is another program i tried using but it didnt show the mobo, just told me the chipset.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds