Page Cannot be Displayed

Discussion in 'Software' started by dunger51, Sep 19, 2005.

1. dunger51

dunger51 Private E-2

Hope someone has some ideas. Have a Dell 2400, Intel 2.8 with 256MB RAM. Running XP SP1. Machine is connected to router with two other computers.

Other two computers have no issue connecting to web. On the Dell I'm getting Page Cannot be Displayed when using IE 6. Get The connetion was refused when attempting to contact - www.yahoo.com.

Have install another NIC, same results.
    Have removed and let system reinstall current NIC, same results.
    Have restore to know good point, same results.

Can ping other computers on router and web sites.
    When pinging itself it times out.
    Running Net View with computer name, get normal results
    Running Net View with IP address get, System error 5, access denied.

Have run WINSOCKXPFIX, same results.
    Have deleted Index.dat, same results.
    Created another user on computer, same results.

Connection to web has been working for about a year with no issue. Child was installing a new printer, Dell 7200. After install browser problems started.

Any ideas would be appreciated before I went and did a total reinstall of XP.

Tks

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Have you tried a different browser to see if it has the same problem? Also you could unistall the printer and see if the problem remains.

3. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Also try tempoarily disabling the XP firewall.

4. dunger51

dunger51 Private E-2

I did try Firefox with the same results. Also Windows firewall wasn't loaded.

What I did find out was the computer has Norton Internet Security. I stated it was disabled, however once I uninstaled I was able to use the browser again. Something may have gotten corputed during the printer install.

Thanks for the replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds