safely remove hardware icon

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andrewe312, Dec 8, 2006.

1. andrewe312

andrewe312 Private E-2

I have a safely remove hardware icon that I can not get rid of. When I open the icon it has Lexmark x73 MFP scanner. What do I do. I have tried installing and reinstalling my printer. I have a Lemark x73 printer/scanner and do not wish to remove either one. I just want to get rid of the icon. Can anyone help Please this is so annoying.
    Thank You

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Andrewe312 and welcome to the forum :)

Some USB hardware perminently leave the USB remove icon in the system tray, but try this it wont delete it perminently so you can still use your devices but it hides it from sight

Click Start > Settings > Taskbar and Start Menu ( or go into Control Panel and click Taskbar and Start Menu icon )> tick Hide Inactive Icons ( if not ticked ) > Customize

then look for the Safely Remove Hardware icon and in the Behavour drop down box click Always Hide > OK > apply and the icon should disapear.

3. abri

abri MajorGeek

I always wondered ... do you not need the safely remove hardware thingie?
    abri

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Not really these days as many of the USB hardwares available are Hot Swappable, which means you can plug and un-plug while the PC is on, you can also if the hardware device supports it remove that Icon via Harware Properties > Profiles tab check Optimize for Quick Removal instead of Optomize for Performance ( which will add the icon to Safely Remove a device ) but you lose Write Caching.

NEVER change any of the Hardware Profile settins on a SATA or PITA hard drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds