on Windows7.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hrlow2, Jun 21, 2009.

1. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

2. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Private First Class

17 minute boot time?

Classic :-D

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

LOL Pretty funny (and really interesting)

What lengths geeks will go to amuse themselves! :-D

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

At least we know that it's possible.

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Yep. And just shows you that we should be able to run these OS's on the ridiculous amount of RAM the machines are coming with now days. lol

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Yeah. Get out of bed, fire up the computer, go make breakfast, come back and log in, go take a shower, come back and stare at the welcome screen.
    Be even worse with a large startup list.

7. tonyw

tonyw Private E-2

Windows 7 is obviously made to be tweaked. I've been running RC1 for a few weeks. They've sent me 37 patches and updates plus I've been getting ideas off the net.Could this be MS's newest dud?

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, I just installed W7 X64 and besides the 3 that I got to get my mobo's ethernet and sound working plus ACPI and Defender definitions, there are only 8 real updates, none important or above, and 31 language packs waiting. So, how does this equate with 'another MS dud'?:confused It is an RC afterall.

9. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I stand with Augie on this.
    I have been running Windows 7RC since the first day it was available and after a short learning curve find it steets ahead of Vista (i liked that as well)
    I think it's the old maxim that if it's new it can't be good and especially if it bears the name Microsoft.
    If people would just try it and spend a little time with it they would see what a vast improvement it is.
    Don't forget that when XP first hit the market it was a pile of :crap untill SP1 was released.
    I have a copy of XP ultimate on one of my PCs and if i use it (very rarely) it is sooooo slow i can not believe i once thought it was the bees knees.

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to Bill and augie
    Did you follow the link and read about what type of system this is installed on?

11. augiedoggie

Yes, of course. I was only replying to tonyw as was BillM. Actually, it's all tonyw's fault as he went OT but then this is the lounge eh? ;)

12. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I read the artical and understand it was a challenge to run it on Pentium II but my reply was directed at Tony.

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Futile experiment from your typical geek ;) but then again shows that MSFT have got something right with Windows 7 as its working with hardware that Vista likely wouldnt even entertain, dont think that those testing this scenario on installing on old PIIIs etc will be using them daily, more like a bit bored for something to do while waiting for MSFT to drop the RTM.

Kind of also in this test of neolithic hardware bodes well for netbooks as while the reported base version of Windows 7 to come with NBs is Win 7 Basic, I know many who are running Ultimate on the popular NBs that are available now.... may get myself a Netbook when Win7 comes out. Could also for some (driver dependent) allow them to try this on PCs that couldnt run Vista well, but then I'd never advise that as need to really get hardware suitable for the Operating System its going to be running for a good experience, while it may run like in the linked test, it likely would run the inbuilt defragger and take a month to finish.

Is it a dud hardly but then many need to just let the past go ;) embrace the future!

As for updates, its natural, XP beta and Vista beta had loads during development, many where either minor developmental updates that didnt warrant a new build or to released applications like Silverlight, Windows Live Applications or IE (that project on IE8 is a done deal so updates for it are included in Win7 as different development team and timeline), also every few days Windows Defender having updates (Defender updates are normal and following set protocol in keeping Windows 7 beta/RC machines upto date with the anti-malware definitions).

As for actual Win7 updates I see about 9 that are for Win7 with 6 of them being TEST updates that do nothing they are just a few files to test the Windows Update application and the server side for robustness, plus the ones Augie mention for the Language Packs (31).

@Tonyw ~ could you expand on the "plus I've been getting ideas off the net"?

14. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Private First Class

I agree that Windows 7 and its support for slower hardware and its huge step forward in usability is great. I've got it running on my 1.6 celeron lappie with 768Mb RAM and apart from the lack of the snazzy Aero interface its every bit as fast as the XP and Arch Linux systems I use on this machine.

With the resources that Microsoft has at its disposal and the cold reception that Vista received, how could we expect any less?
    The industry I work in has a similar sort thing going on, where the big player for countless years often accused of anti-competitive behavior has woken up their game due to recent bad press of their former product lineup and there now being some credible competition/alternatives.
    Lack of competition causes complacency.
    Competition will drive things forward and force all those involved to innovate and actually make something good.

It will take a while for the critics to settle down a bit with the anti-Microsoft sentiment, but, I for one am looking forward to the fact that Microsoft is done stagnating (I hope;)) and is once again moving forward. Hopefully we continue to see more innovation and better usability from all parties involved in the OS game.

Too right :major

anyway, sorry for the hi-jack I felt like writing something...
    I can take this elsewhere if you like.

GM

15. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Sorry for snapping, augie and Tim.
    Who would have thought to use that system specs?

16. DavidGP

Thats good to hear and is similar to what I have heard from many others, was chatting to one of the IT techs in work and he has installed Win7 on an older machine and loves it and for a Linux fan to say he is goingto build a new PC to take advantage of Win7 fully is a plus.

Now going to say every Linux fan, will every love Windows, as horses for courses and you choose your own fav.

With the resources that Microsoft has at its disposal and the cold reception that Vista received, how could we expect any less?

Absolutly and exactly how I feel and with Win7 having a better or wider hardware base this could when some others see this get them to develop a better OOBE with their OS, Linux is nearly on Microsofts tail, just needs a bit of fine tuning in some versions to be competitive.

Very true.

No not in a million years, think more so as I dont have any hardware that old lying around and no time to devote to a project like that, but while I said it was a futile excersise in my OP, I would expand on that and say while I feel its futile, it does go to show that when you know what our doing with an OS and more so a beta, you can adapt and find workarounds to get things going.... so kudos to the ones who tried this, still think they need to get out more ;)

Still think things like this that crop up are showing Win7 in a more positive light.

Oldest PC I'm using Win7 on is one laptop of mine but this is a Acer 5633 from 2007.

17. tonyw

tonyw Private E-2

Looks like I invited flames by not really elaborating when I started this thread.
    First a little background: I have been a MS Beta tester and Tech Net member for many years. I was also a MS Certified partner. I was invited to beta test XP, XP SP1 & 2, Server 2008, Longhorn which layer became Vista, both SP's. I sent in many bug reports and spent many unpaid hours doing my best to find bugs and incompatibilities. Some of you may not know just how hard it was to get the outside venders (Creative and Epson to name a few) to make Vista drivers. Vista was remolded several times so it could be released and be usable. It also brought 64 bit into the mainstream. About a year before Windows 7 began recruiting testers several events in my life occured which made me resign. The loss of my spouse, my retirement from business, the destruction of my house by lightning and a serious car crash all happened within a six month period. When I finally returned to the keyboard I found several invites to beta test Windows 7. Even though I considered myself officially retired I accepted the challenge. Once again I began to uncover bugs and send in reports. The 37 patches were in response to my bug reports. I built five rigs, from a simple P4 with 512K, AN AMD Dual core with 4 gigs and a monster which I love with a 3 card SLI video system on a server board with four quad core procs.
    Windows 7 runs well on all the rigs I'm testing it on. I try to be flexible but I must stick with my comment about the extreme boot times. Others will have better results, some will have the same and a few will have even longer boot times. Don't take my Dud comment as anything other than a comment. It was based on the fact that under all that new looking, very impressive facade and hyped performance reports there lurks the bones of a long forgotten friend: NT5.
    So Windows 7 is new, and there will be much debate on it's merits and it's faults but it's roots run very deep. It's sorta like a Model T with new sheet metal that looks Like the Mustang. But underneath it's still Windows.
    Please don't flame me publicly. That's what the PM system is for. I'll answer and respond but unless you prove I'm wrong I stick to my original statement.

18. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

First, you don't have near enough posts for PM.
    Second, you claim to have started this thread. I don't think so.
    And I will personally stick with XP in any version.
    And I think I will go put on my boots because it is getting piled pretty deep around here.

19. augiedoggie

Well tonyw, thanks for explaining yourself as we now know where you're coming from. I was also a beta tester on Vista thanks to Wendy and I also fooled around with Longhorn since build 4051 as an enthusiast, nothing more. I can agree on the frustrations of Vista drivers and that Vista was over-hyped with all these million dollar seminars and finally came out with a product that was pushed out the door IMO.

As to inviting flames, I know these folks well and it was not flaming but curiosity as to why you would say this as there's many folks that just come in and just say 'Vista Sucks' etc. which does not add to a thread to which your latest post has done.

Welcome aboard tonyw.

20. tonyw

tonyw Private E-2

Well Auggie and hrlow2, you've showed me the light. No further comments shall come from this keyboard about this topic - or anything for that matter.
    I am now a lurker. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Thanks for the education folks. School of hard knocks MG style.

21. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

It would be shame to loose someone of your experience just because of a misunderstanding.
    My post certainly was not intended to flame you just to invite a comment.
    We have so many new members that have in a post just said Windows X is a load of :crap without any reason why, i am not in particular bias toward MS (i also have Linux ) but just find comment without explanation unwarranted.

Hope to see you still posting.

22. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

My experience?:-D I'm still just a newb compared to lots of people here. I fully realize that.
    Besides,my skin is way too thick for that to even tickle.:p
    No way am I leaving any time soon. You're just stuck with me.
    Nice gesture on your part. Very much appreciated.

23. augiedoggie

I'm very sorry to hear that you took my comments as you did and if I inadvertently offended you then I apologize.

24. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Let's see, 17 minutes I can fix some eggs, bacon hashbrowns and mybe take a few bitesrolleyes. That might work seeing how I.m a slow riser in the morning anyway.:-D Oh, Yeah the coffee. Can't forget the coffee.:hyper

25. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

That sounds really delicious 'trucks.
    Maybe it will be fully loaded by the 2nd cup of coffee.

26. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Ya think?:-D

27. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

If you wanted to maybe take a nap, just add a few programs to the startup list.

28. tonyw

tonyw Private E-2

Apologies accepted but I'm still going to keep my trap shut for a while until I can get the tone of the board.

29. augiedoggie

:cool:)

30. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

reminds me of this.

8MHz CPU and 20MB of ram...

they should retry that test with windows 7, and see how far they get :-D

31. DavidGP

They would likely get.... Install in 1yr and boot in 3mths

32. augiedoggie

Hmm, that sounds more like 286 specs, 8MHz CPU and 20MB HDD with 640K RAM w/384K extended or expanded. The linked rig is much different.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds