printer help

Discussion in 'Software' started by mr_flea, Jan 2, 2004.

1. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

My friend has an HP deskjet 3650 printer. We can't get it to install. The install printer wizard doesn't work, and when I try the install package from the manufacturer's website, it comes up with the error:

Setup was unable to complete the installation. Please run setup again.

He is running windows XP home edition on a sony. We've tried rerunning it several times.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

make sure you have the correct driver for that OS.

those installers can be expanded with a zip program. expand it to a folder then find the drivers for your os in the folders someplace and manually point the installation to that folder.

3. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

the installer is for windows XP.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

It may have been a bad download... re-download again.... yes I know its a bigish DL @ 26.6mb.

also if XP make sure he is logged in as Admin!

1 person likes this.
  5. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

well I think I might have found the problem. He never restarts his computer, keeps 31 programs running at all times, and is 20 critical updates behind.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

give him a box and some packing material.. ;)

7. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

It sounds like it might come to that. He didn't save the cd's that came with the computer (the windows reinstall cd's), and windows is really screwed over. It can't even run the printer configuration utility or the printer install utility. At least the software for the second printer we tried to install didn't uninstall it's self afterwards like the first one's software. Got any ideas anyone?

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

scan for viruses?

9. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

already did. We got it fixed after around 4 hours of tech support. A virus that he had before (but got rid of) had killed the RPC host. Had to restart it. It works good now. Thanks everyone!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds