Quick question

Discussion in 'Software' started by jbd46, Apr 30, 2007.

1. jbd46

jbd46 Private E-2

Hello,

I'm running Win XP with a broadband connection. I'm wondering why when I click on the LAN icon in the system tray, and look at "status", it is actively sending and receiving packets even when my web browser (and any other programs that connect to the internet) are closed. Is this normal, and if so, is there a program you guys have to identify exactly what program on my computer is "communicating" as I watch this happen? Thanks :).

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Windows is always active on-line.Acrobat reader, and other programs that auto update will cause activity.
    Your firewall will tel you - see what programs have permission, if you don't think it should configure the firewall to stop (temporarily) allowing it, and then if it is important you can go back and allow it to get through.

3. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

There are various tools available here to do what you want to do. I'm not familiar with them but if you go to the bottom of this page, you'll see a collection of links. Follow the one that seems most likely to find what you want and you'll find that the same set of links are now available down the left side of the page.

It would also be worth using the Search feature at the top of the forum pages (which is only available when you're logged in) to see what other people have recommended.

You'll probably also find that now this post has had another reply and gone back up near the top, people who are familiar with the type of software you're after will respond with information for you.

And welcome to Major Geeks! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds