wavy horizontal lines

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m3i0x3, Apr 11, 2008.

1. m3i0x3

m3i0x3 Private E-2

4 days ago my screen suddenly has strange wavy horizontal lines going across it. if i open "my computer" you can definately see the distortion in the background.

i can hit the "menu" button on my Acer AL1917W monitor and the "menu" display is crystal clear making me think its something internal. has my Video Card fried possibly?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

This can happen when video cables are a bit loose. Check both ends and make sure it's secure, or maybe replace the cable. If you have another monitor you could hook up temporarily, you'd know for sure where the problem lies. You could also boot in safe mode to see if it might be a driver issue; or go into the BIOS and see if the lines are noticeable there.... check your refresh rate and resolution; if either is higher than what the display can handle, you might get some weirdness....

3. m3i0x3

m3i0x3 Private E-2

so far ive unplugged EVERY cable hooked to the cpmuter, took out the video card (Geforce2 Mx 400) and checked it out, looked ok to me.

plugged everything back in snug as a bug but still the wavy lines.

money is tight right now, might be awhile before i can get a new cable.

wierd how this happened out of the blue.
    crystal clear images before this.

4. Creativeballance

Creativeballance Private First Class

Most online retailers don't charge much for cables (compared to best buy for example which charges $70.00 for a DVI cable that's available for $5.00 elsewhere)

5. Creativeballance

Creativeballance Private First Class

Don't forget what dlb said and go to nvidia and download new drivers.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If the cable wasn't loose, and you tried all of the above and still have problems, it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility that the card has failed. After all, it is at least ten years old....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds