Need to recover data from a laptop's hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by squishy crayons, Feb 14, 2009.

1. squishy crayons

squishy crayons Private E-2

My HP Pavilion dv2000 went crazy and started beeping when I turned it on and there's no display. I don't have the knowldge or cash to fix it :( but I do need some stuff from the hard drive

Some specs

Samsung HM120JI
    2.5 inch HD
    Serial ATA (?)
    DC+5V 0.85A

I tried putting a SATA or SATA II (not sure) cable from my desktop into it but it didn't fit anywhere.

what's the quickest and cheapest way to get the data off of it?

Thanks

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Are you sure the laptop drive is sata?
    If its a few years old, and has several small pins, it is probably e(ide)
    Get an external caddy for the laptop hard drive, I have these -(fl 'ebay, is one source)- and that will connect via a usb port on your pc.
    I will see if I can find your laptop details, and come back.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The beeping on laptops can be
    I/ OVERHEATING - Usually use a can of compressed air from your local pc shop, and blow through the heatsink fins- If it is like some that I have worked on, I have seen half a carpet stuck up the fins, and had to dismantle completely to clean them- come back if you find that is the problem
    2/ Adodgy stick of ram - If you have a spare stick, try chaging it, or if two are fitted, take out one and try, then take out the other, and put the first one back- If you don't know how- come back, and ask- if I am not about I am sure someone else here will try to help.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The caddy that I mentioned will hold the hard drive- laptop ones can be bought for £5 , or, so on flebay

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If your hard drive is sata, then you could only access it from your pc with a sata lead, but you have to be very careful, if it has not got e-sata connectin, on the rear of your computer.
    PLEASE NOTE- Using any electrical connection from your pc, with the side off, and connecting to the motherboard is dangerous - if you are not conversant with this type of thing, get someone who is, to do it for you-
    You will then need a sata lead, and a sata power lead to connect to your laptop hard drive-

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Your hard drive is sata

7. infinity89r

infinity89r Private E-2

I'd say your laptop got overheated. This happened to my dv9000 once. I just took out the battery and inserted it again - this would restart everything. Buy an expansion base with a cooler

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds