Windows Media Player cannot play the file

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Jul 17, 2008.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

When I get this message, what can I do about it? "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." I am using the Opera 9 web browser. If I go to Internet Explorer 6.0 and click to play the audio, it works just fine. Is this one of those Microsoft things?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What is the file extension?

3. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

5. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I did as you suggested. It threw me when it said it was a Media Player plug-in for Firefox. And when I clicked the link this time, I got a window with this showing:
    <asx version="3.0">
    <title>RIVERWALK</title>
    <author>RIVERWALK</author><copyright>(c)RIVERWALK</copyright><entry><ref href="mms://pubint.wmod.llnwd.net/a48/o1/production/wms/riverwalk/local-riverwalk-729619.asf"/>
    </entry>
    </asx>

6. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I just tried your suggestion on my laptop, which has Vista. All worked just fine. Does this mean that there's an issue with XP (Windows Media Center 2005)?

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No. Am I to understand that it works for vista, but didn't for XP?

8. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

That's right. I even downloaded the plug-in again on my XP desktop computer and it acknowledged that the plug-in already was downloaded and gave me the option to repair it. I clicked that, closed Opera, then re-opened Opera and got the same message as before when I clicked the link to the streaming audio on the Riverwalk Jazz page.

9. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

P.S. I also tried the link using Firefox on my desktop computer and it worked fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds