IBM Thinkpad T42 boot up issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jun 18, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I wasn't sure if this should be here in the software forum, or in the hardware forum.... whatever.... Anyway, this laptop is running XP Home SP2, and it's doing something I don't think I've ever seen before. From the time the PC is powered on, to the when Windows actually starts to load, is about 20 minutes or more. The IBM logo screen comes up right away at power on, it stays up for a regular amount of time, then the screen goes blank for about 2-3 minutes. Then the white segmented progress bar appears at the bottom of the screen, it sits there progressing very slowly, it adds a bar every 1-2 minutes. When the black XP logo screen finally shows up (with the scrolling blue progress indicator), everything zips along from there just fine. After the XP logo shows, it's maybe 30 seconds to a minute until the desktop loads up. After that, the PC runs fine. Actually, after the desktop loads, the PC runs freekin' great!!! It's super fast in Windows and online. It's just the freakishly long wait from power on to XP logo that's weird.....
    Any ideas?

Thanks!

(I'm running a HD diagnostic right now, and a RAM diagnostic is next. I have already gone thru the BIOS and disabled/enabled some things that looked like they may be slowing it down, but it made little to no difference)

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Problem solved. HD had corrupt sectors. A low-level 'zeroing' of the drive fixed it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds