router and dsl modem prob

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rob_mill, May 22, 2005.

1. rob_mill

rob_mill Private E-2

i have a problem with a new router i bought to share dsl net.

i had a dlink dsl 300+ modem, and have added a netgear wgt624 wireless router to share net wireless and thru cable.

have no probs getting it all started and net is shared fine. but quite regularly the net drops out. i have the router configured to 192.168.1.1 so i can still access the modem config thru 192.168.0.1, but once net drops i cant access modem this way.

internal network still works as i can access internal shares fine. i have the router set to isp does not require log in as the dsl modem handles PPPoE. is this the prob? do i need to change which device handles log in to isp?

help would be much appreciated.

thanx

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Did you update the firmware on the Netgear?

3. rob_mill

rob_mill Private E-2

yep. the first time it connected successfully it check for updates, found one and i performed it.

4. dedub

dedub Corporal

No, you do not. Your problem sounds like it is bewteen your modem and router and nothing else. My guess is some type of authentification issue. Meaning you might have to ensure that the MAC address is in the *good to go* list or something similar. Have you tried to connect a computer back to your modem and see if the problem still exists? Try that. If your internet is working fine in that manner then go back to your router but shut everything down for a minute or so before hooking everything back up. May I also suggest that you statically assign the Wan port on your router to 192.168.0.2 (one up from your router) and shut off DHCP on your modem if you can. Also, look at your log in the modem if it has one. I bet it will clue you in to why your net is dropping. It is probably dropping packets via filter as opposed to acually loosing your internet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds