Power on password prob

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vikingman4456, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Vikingman4456

Vikingman4456 Private First Class

Well to make a long story short, I need some info on how I can get pass the power on password. I think the unit is locked out because of the password try limit had been exceeded. All I've done at this point was to remove the battery because it hand no jumpers to clear stuff. It is an old IBM Aptiva model with windows 98 se installed. I tried to get into setup but it wont let me. Any Ideas ????

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

3. Vikingman4456

Thank you for the info. I found out a few things there that sorta helped and got me some education as well. Happy to report that the unit is now working properly! Again MajorGeeks is the best place to get answers I think.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Can you post what helped you on this matter, so others who do a search on this topic, can also benefit on what you found?

5. Vikingman4456

Ok, what I found out was that when it comes to password securities IBM has the toughest system to crack (go figure) which discouraged me at first. I found out that just merely removing the battery doesn't work all the time because I guess some systems can retain info for up to a year (wow I thought). Also, something about stuff being stored in flash memory which would be a problem so on and so forth. As for the IBM thinkpad series, some of those have to be sent back to the manufacturer to be reset (crazy), so keep that in mind all you IBM users. As for how I got around everything I left the battery out and the motherboard did have the jumpers to clear the CMOS (which suprised me for as old as this unit is).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds