Need batch launching program

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, May 28, 2006.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Anyone tried Batch Launcher 1.1.4?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Would it be an option to create your own cmd file?

It might be possible to use the 'start /wait' command as each program loads.

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Anyone tried Batch Launcher 1.1.4? Any freeware equivalents out there. This is shareware and I will buy it if I have to. What I am trying to do is create a batch file, or similar, that will allow me to launch all the programs I run to get onto the Internet, fully protected, as an option in booting up. Bazza <<

G’Day Bazza…

As for your questions regarding Batch Launcher 1.1.4:
    Like all of Nikolay Enin’s four applications; Batch Launcher is a very decent and fairly stable program. However it really hasn’t been updated/improved upon since June of 2004. The unregistered version of Batch Launcher is NOT fully functional and the developer provides only "limited support" (and with low priority) to unregistered users.

If you decide to keep the program after 30 days; when you register it, you’ll get the registration key (serial number) which will remove the limitations. Even if you decide to purchase it; your registration key will ONLY work for future versions of Batch Launcher with same major version number. In other words; if you purchase version 1.1.4 and the developer names the next version upgrade 2.0 - you have to spend another 15 dollars for a new license!

My Freeware Alternative: Before you plunk down $15 smackers for Batch Launcher 1.1.4 you should definitely try the freeware application called ProgramLaunch v3.2 which has tons of useful features and is a fairly easy-to-use program launch bar for the Windows 2000/XP operating systems.

Among many other useful new features - like the autohide feature to the launcher window - this latest version also features added batch support for launching several other/different programs with one command. I actually tested the latest version (3.2) when it was released early last month (around Apr 9 or 10, I believe) and version 3.2 is a significant update/upgrade from previous versions.

Good Luck!

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Code:
    option explicit

dim o_shell

set o_shell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.Shell")

o_shell.run ("[I]pathoffirewallexecutable[/I]")
    o_shell.run ("[I]pathofantivirusexecutable[/I]")
    o_shell.run ("[I]pathofantispywareexecutables[/I]")
    o_shell.run ("iexplore.exe http://forums.majorgeeks.com")

' you can add more statements as neccessary

WScript.Quit ()
    Heh, if you were to copy the above into notepad and save as filename.vbs you would have a script that launched the programs, and loaded majorgeeks into internet explorer.

5. bigbazza

Thanks Mada_Milty and COMPUABLE for the 2 very different ways of tackling my query.

Also, just purchased PCUtilities Mag (UK), issue number 71, ( just now available in OZ), that lists 1 or 2 other programs for me to try.

Thanks again, guys. I will eventually get my PC operating how I want it to. Probably 90% satisfied with XP Pro right now. Bazza

6. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>>Any freeware equivalents out there. This is shareware and I will buy it if I have to. What I am trying to do is create a batch file, or similar, that will allow me to launch all the programs I run to get onto the Internet, fully protected, as an option in booting up. So I can bootup with non-internet related software for faster bootup, then run the batch file when I want to go on the net, and MG, for example.<<

G’Day Bazza!

Unfortunately, most developers who create these "freeware" process eliminator types of utilities do not make exactly what you are looking for; simply because there are so few people actually want the ability to do this: Create a batch allow a user to launch only the programs/utilities that the user wants. Therefore there would probably be little or no market for developing this type of "specialty" application as a freeware utility.

That being said; as a possible freeware alternative to what you want to do here; you might try checking out today's new listing at Major Geeks called: KillProcess 2.32.1. Just so you know, I happen to have fairly thoroughly tested an earlier version of this program and it is great!

But most importantly (relative to your question in this thread) one of the functions also included in the latest version of KillProcess; is a so-called "Process Tracker" By using this Process Tracker you can actually prevent any process in the system from "starting" to execute in the first place; thus releasing precious CPU resources to applications that should be running instead.

The "main" functions basically work in a similar way as the SmartClose utility that I recommended to you previously; except that this KillProcess program allows the user create a "Kill list" to specify which processes that should be terminated and then perform a "batch-type" run on the list, quite effectively ending, or "eliminating" of all of the processes listed. Hence the program name KillProcess!

As you are well aware of I’m sure, the standard Windows Task Manager does not allow the user to terminate multiple processes at the same time, but users perform this function quite easily as well as efficiently using either KillProcess or SmartClose.

Note (to others may be viewing this thread): Although this is most defiantly a handy utility, I believe it is NOT really a good program for people who are entirely computer-illiterate and/or are unfamiliar with or not used to working with Windows processes, tasks and/or batch files. Just a friendly warning here, folks... I do not point this out to insult anyone, really! ;)

It’s just that configured incorrectly; this program could possibly (even likely) cause very serious problems if you don't know what you're doing. Additionally, it will definitely take a little time and effort to get used to using KillProcess. A thorough read both the website as well as all of the help files will go a long way. This is defiantly not one of those programs (easy-to-use) or simpleton utilities that you just download, install, activate and it works perfectly as is. KillProcess requires configuration in order to get the most out of using it.

For the newbies and even experienced geeks out there a much easier utility to use is called: SmartClose which was developed by BM-productions; which in my opinion, is far "safer to use" especially because it gives you an easy-to-use option to "Create a System Snapshot" before you make any changes (which you can restore later).

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  7. bigbazza

Thanks COMPUABLE, but I don't think KillProcess is what I am after.
    What I think I want is the direct opposite to SmartClose. SmartOpen? :D

I would have thought there would be a market for a program that will launch a batch of programs, on request, not at Startup.

Users do not require a Firewall and AntiVirus program running, for example, when you are not on the Internet, on a stand-alone PC.

SmartClose fills this requirement brilliantly..Now if I could only get the opposite. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds