NVIDIA Update from Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Jul 8, 2008.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hey gang ... Microsoft is offering me an "optional" update for my NVIDIA graphics ("Display"). It is for my specific card, but it's also 55.7MB. How would I know if I need this or not? Should I check in another forum, or can someone here help?

Thanks ...

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

My feelings about driver updates boil down to: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Unless you have a specific reason why you need to update your video driver (like if a new game requires the newer driver), I would recommend just leaving it alone. If it's working fine right now, why mess with it? But if you're determined, check the driver version number at Microsoft, then compare it against the most current version at NVidia's driver site, then compare both of those against your current driver version. Personally, I don't use driver updates from Microsoft that are 'brand specific'. Generic drivers like USB controllers are OK to be updated by MS, but stuff like video cards and sound cards, I prefer to download from the manufacturer....

[dlb]

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you, that was my gut feeling I just needed to hear it from someone who knows A LOT more than do I!

Thanks again,
    glenn

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

MSFT drivers do tend to lag a version or two behind the makers ones, but like dlb, with items like Graphics, sounds and Networking drivers I do seek out the makers ones all the time.

Best option is to right click hide the driver update ( you wont then see the prompt for download when using Win Update ), but its likely that you dont have an Nvidia downloaded driver installed hence why MSFT update is listing one of theirs, as I installed from Nvidia my last GFX driver and I dont get notified from Win Update anymore.

But as dlb rightly said and I totally agree if your having no issues then no major need to install yet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds