Win 10 final release

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Mar 18, 2015.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Do you think we will be able to perform a clean install of Win 10 this summer,or should we have a clean image of 8.1 so no clutter is upgraded?

Also, it would be great to have an iso to burn to a disc for future reinstallation- any chance?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Quite apart from the 'how' of upgrading, for which we will have to wait, has anyone here yet found a single feature of 10 that would make upgrading desirable? I'm running it in a VM and can't find anything at all that would justify calling it a new Windows version, let alone jumping 9 to 10.

3. Earthling

There is one feature we haven't had previously - multiple desktops. Personally I've never felt the need for this Linux feature, but in the beta version I'm using, if you change the desktop settings in any desktop it changes them in all desktops - not exactly very useful. I'll be generous and assume this isn't how it will be when it gets to release, but so far that's the only thing I have found which could accurately be described as new.

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Earthling, I agree that nothing entices me away from the system I love to one that has no eye openers.

JR12 -looking at 80 and being anxious to get to ten before I can't make it >double post. Nothing excuses it and I apologize to the forum for the breach of rules.

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I just found something which makes your question rather interesting. How is Microsoft going to accomplish upgrading pirated versions of Windows 7/8.1? Why not just make Windows 10 available to everyone - free of charge.

http://***********.com/information-...ee-upgrade-for-genuine-and-non-genuine-users/

Edit: Why is the website's name censored? Here's the name 'a rstechnica'. No space between the a & r.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  6. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

"Your desktop anywhere" does interest me.
    And the new gaming features.
    Time will tell if Win 10 is worth the cost. Win 10 may not cost money up front, but I doubt MS is becoming altruistic.

Hey, Musk, you running a Raspery Pi for your posts?

7. Shuriken UK

Shuriken UK Private First Class

Windows 10!? LOL I didn't even know Win9 was out yet. Nobody has mentioned anything newer than Win8 yet in real life (as in outside the net) or on TV & adverts but I can't say I've been looking into it. Its just funny that you dont even hear a whisper about win9, then suddenly win10 is coming out this summer... I must be WAY behind!

Yea, we'll see a new ice age before that happens I'll bet.

8. Earthling

Microsoft is so anxious to convince ppl that 10 will be completely different from and more user friendly than Win 8 that it has skipped 9 and gone straight to 10. The reality will prove disappointing for many though, as the changes from 8 are largely cosmetic.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Peter

Again, no idea and all is speculation as to upgrade pathways, I feel NO it will be an in-place upgrade for the free update from Windows X to Windows 10, but will it allow you to create an install disk, Well not currently in Tech Beta 10041 but you can create one if you install True Image.

I agree with Earthling as Windows 10 is not too dissimilar to Win 8.1 just the start menu., but I have to add that Windows 10 does look at resources and will save HDD/SSD space if the CPU and HW will deal with compression well. Crash Protection is as good as Win 7 and 8, Icons are crapola still

10. skimmer

skimmer Private E-2

Why on the Pi Musk? Same reason as why your going to grab the win 10 (and have already played with it) because it's there, and you want to learn about using it. Not wait till someone else has done it all and taken the fun away. I had fun till I blew mine up. Now to get a better one.
    So MS has said they are going to allow pirated versions to upgrade to win 10. The story being that they want to bring the over one third of China's pirated copies, and I assume other's of those who are running pirated copies, into the "legal" fold. How they intend to profit from this is the question. As I agree on the " I doubt MS is becoming altruistic" line.

11. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I agree with you on that one.

Windows 10 in not all it's cracked up to be.Cosmetics is one of the major flaws of windows 7'8 and 8.1.

Sure sure.

It looks pretty and every thing but that beauty tends to take up space and eat ram for lunch.:yum:yum

I understand that the real only reason why it would load any faster is be cause of the SSD drives.

I really don't think that there will be much of a performance gain.It might be a tiny bit faster but not by much.

As long as it is more user friendly then 8 and 8.1,Let's hope it is.Windows 8 was nothing but a frankenstein make just like vista and windows ME.

In my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  12. theefool

theefool Geekified

In my home lab, windows 10 as a VM runs just as well as windows 7 in a VM. This is with 1 cpu and 2 GB of ram. Oh, and I'm not running any SSDs on the back end for these VMs. Though, I hope to upgrade to one soon.

13. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I was speaking in terms of decades therefore said I am looking at 80 as I am a mere 75.
    If we all take the one day at a time approach we are all the same age relatively. Cancer took a kidney then a lung then invaded the bladder but I think it important to keep you mind busy.
    Also for those reading who are in distress of any kind, keep on punching!
    I have learned Spanish besides becoming a c level pc user; that is why I am always here for help which I greatly appreciate.

Lastly, I agree that we should stick to computer topics and put the irrelevant aside for another forum. So, I apologize for wandering here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds