Internet Access, 5min Delay At Bootup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mulsiphix, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Private E-2

This computer has had issues with connecting to the internet for some time. I have sought help in the Malware section of these forums and can confirm that no virus or other malware is the cause of this behavior.

Problem
    When the system boots up it will take 5 full minutes before I am able to access any websites (sticks on Resolving [URL here]). If I use MSConfig to ensure that only System Services load with Windows, this time is cut down to 2:30 minutes. If I boot into Safe Mode w/Networking this time is cut down to 0:30 seconds. I have another Windows 7 HP 64-bit laptop and it gains access to the web as soon as I can get a web browser open.

Question
    What would be the best way to try and figure out what is causing this delay? Should I be analyzing boot-up programs and services with software or? Since there is a 2min difference between Safe Mode and Windows with only System Services loading, perhaps a problem lies within the system itself? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

malware thread for reference: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=291394

Please post a) version of Windows b) browser you use c) brand and exact model of computer so we can check hardware and drivers.

How long has this problem existed? What security programs are you running?

3. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Private E-2

How long have you had this problem?
    I'm in town and trying to help my mom with her computer troubles. She says she can't remember when it started, but definitely at least a year. Sorry I can't be of more help on this.

System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

Laptop Model
    Acer Aspire 5552

Browsers Used
    1. Firefox v36.0.1
    2. Chrome v41.0.2272.101
    Security Programs Running
    1. Kaspersky Internet Security 2013
    2. Peerblock v1.2
    3. Hostman v4.5.102
    4. Comodo Firewall v8.1.0.4426

4. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Private E-2

Sorry for the double post. I wanted to attach these to the post above, but I was no longer able to edit it. Here are images of the Windows Services List and Running Processes List. For the processes this is a standard list with no applications running other than what boots at startup.

Attached Files:

5. wilddean

wilddean Private E-2

if its having issues resolving perhaps its DNS related, have you tried running Complete internet repair, - Its a tool available from in the tools section,

You could also try manually assigning your DNS servers to googles servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

6. wilddean

wilddean Private E-2

Also Do you get the delay when booting in safemode with networking, Could just be a lack of available Memory to handle the requests, I would suggest you open task manager on startup and look at your memory and CPU usage

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

1. Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 - either remove it (I'd use AppRemover because Security programs are next to impossible to remove) or update it. An outdated security program is a waste of resources.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/appremover.html
    supported applications removed http://www.appremover.com/supported-applications#security-applications?windows-7
    lots of Kaspersky Internet Security versions are listed. I'm not sure what 2013 translates into.

2. Comodo Firewall v 8 includes more than just a firewall
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2475055,00.asp

In effect, she has two antivirus programs fighting with each other. I will amend what I said in item #1. Don't upgrade Kaspersky. Remove it and stick with Comodo.

Get rid of Kaspersky, reboot and see if the browser speed has decreased.

8. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Private E-2

I was mistaken. It doesn't say "Resolving URL...". It says "Resolving host...". I did a quick search and found a couple articles with some possible fixes. This is what I've tried now:
    1. I changed my DNS server addresses to Public DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4).
    2. Cleared DNS cache of Chrome browser.
    3. Cleared DNS cache on local PC (ipconfig /flushdns).
    4. Set all four Microsoft.NET services to Manual in Services.msc.
    5. I disabled IPv6, Kaspersky AV NDIS 6 Filter, and COMODO Firewall Driver in my Network Adapater Connection Properties.
    6. I used MSConfig and disabled all startup entries which include Kaspersky, Comodo, Peerblock, and Hostman. Beyond those, none of my other applications should be capable of interfering with internet traffic or connections. But they're all disabled anyway.
    7. Trying to access websites by using their IP address, versus their URL's.
    8. Tried changing this LAN connection setting in Internet Options.
      [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, I am still seeing "Resolving host...".

Is there a specific thing you wanted me to repair using this tool (perhaps "flush dns resolver cash")? I've already ran the command "ipconfig /flushdns" from a CMD window. That is what that command does right?

Yes the 2:30min boot to successful internet browsing time was clocked in Safe Mode with Networking. This problem is either getting worse or simply doesn't conform to 5 minutes until you can web browse, each and every time. It just took me 6:45min and 8:45min during my last two attempts (normal boot). So if it is CPU and Memory based, shouldn't the performance be similar each time? More importantly, after disabling the entire Startup section in MSConfig shouldn't I be gaining access faster than usual?

I have this installed on four computers at home. None of them have internet connectivity issues. I've turned off the software for now and disabled the Network Adapter protocol for KIS. I do not have the money to upgrade it right now. I will look into a Free option in the Malware section ASAP. Is this enough or do I need to completely remove it from the system for troubleshooting this issue?

While COMODO packs in numerous features, nothing beyond the firewall is running. I have not configured a Virtual Desktop, so this feature literally cannot run. Auto-sandboxing and Host Intrusion Protection System are off. Create Rescue Disk must be manually started. I opted to not install GeekBuddy or Dragon browser.

I'm not sure what else Comodo 8 can do that could compete with Kaspersky. From my personal experience, I feel Kaspersky is far better at catching malware activity on the system than COMODO. Not that I'm using any COMODO features that would currently allow it to.

This is a Comodo Firewall only installation. I never installed CIS, nor utilized an installer that gave me the option to install CIS or CAV.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  9. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Private E-2

I forgot to mention that in MSConfig I've also disabled two COMODO and one Kaspersky system services. I've also made sure to disable Kaspersky's self-defense so it won't keep re-enabling itself.

I'm not really sure how to read this. I booted directly into Windows, immediately opened Process Explorer, and 2min to 2:30min later I created these screenshots.

[​IMG] * [​IMG] * [​IMG]

I still have an active license and will for most of the year (just renewed). I just don't have any cash to invest in a new pay program. I've always felt it was a solid program, even if it isn't the latest version currently available *shrug* :confused.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  10. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Private E-2

Excellent, thank you for helping me cross that off the list JoeRay12. To be honest, Kaspersky has been on auto-renew and I used to be of the mind that you get what you pay for, though I now realize this is no longer the case.

11. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Private E-2

Alright folks, I think I'm going to throw in the towel. I downloaded Tweaking.com's Windows Repair and ran several repairs related to the internet or areas I thought might cause a problem like this. I am seeing no changes. I tried connecting via LAN cord today versus wireless and saw no difference either.

To finish things off I grabbed a Live Linux CD and tried that out. Literally as soon as I am hitting enter my web page starts loading up. So instead of waiting 5 to 8 minutes to gain internet access I am seeing it in 30 seconds. I'm pretty certain that rules out it being a hardware issue. I have no idea what could be causing this.

I thank each and every one of you for trying to help. We gave it out best shot :cry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds